Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resident with moonlighting income, roth solo 401k or whatt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident with moonlighting income, roth solo 401k or whatt?

Hey all, new to this forum but not new to WCI. Been a follower and a believer (tell you in 30 years) for 4-5 years now. I have some questions about what to do next.

Brief numbers: residency income ~55k (W2), moonlighting income ~60k (1099). Max out 457 and both my wife and I's Roth IRAs--all in Vanguard target fund right now. Education debt: 40k @ 6.6%. Total retirement accounts ~100k. Emergency plan is funded.

So...

As an aside, I know that WCI recommends paying off the 6.6% rate educational debt first but I have my reasons to slowly pay my loans right now. I will pay them off within 18-24 months (awaiting windfall).

For the last tax year, I was going to open a solo 401k but didn't realize there was a Dec 31 deadline so I opened and contributed 4k into a SEP-IRA at vanguard.

For this tax year, I had some considerations I was hoping I could get some guidance on:

1. I am thinking to open a roth solo 401k and max it out. This way I get roth contributions and still get a pretax break from the 'employer' contribution. Other option is to just do a regular solo 401k and decrease my taxes now. Which option would you recommend?

2. What are my options for my sep-ira from last year? I would rather consolidate it into fewer accounts rather than have a bunch of accounts. I was told I can roll it over to my Roth IRA or Roth 401k (@ e-trade, not vanguard) but would have to pay taxes on it. What would you recommend?

Thank you so much.

IradRocks

With the limited information provided, it sounds as if you did the right thing by contributing to a SEP for 2015. Next steps:

1. Open a SOLO-k with a Roth option. Roll the SEP into the traditional K and you won't pay taxes ~or~ roll into the Roth-K and you will not owe taxes. You can also do partial Roth and partial pre-tax. Tax planning will be very helpful.

2. You can also opt to contribute to the pre-tax (trad) K to get a tax deduction. Again, tax planning would be very beneficial.

Tax planning/projections will help you clarify not just immediate consequences, but long-term effects of the decisions you make today. As you will be in a much higher tax bracket in the next few years (presumably), it is important to consider the comprehensive results of your choices.

You did not mention contributing to a back-door Roth. If you have no plans to do so, leaving the SEP "as is" will not affect tax-wise but will, as you mentioned, complicate your paperwork.
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
    X