inherited 401k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inherited 401k

My wife will be inheriting her portion of her mothers 401k.  I am very confused about our options.

1.  401K is a traditional 401k.  No distributions were required, she passed in her 50s.   Can we roll my wifes portion into her existing traditional IRA?  I know that this is plan dependent.

2.  IF we can roll into traditional IRA, does the money grow tax deferred until my wife starts to take distributions?

Or, am I totally wrong/lost and we have to take a distribution now, which will be taxed?

Thanks guys.

Your options depend upon what the plan document stipulates. She may be required to take it out in a lump sum, stretch over 5 years, or over her life expectancy. If she is allowed to roll into an IRA, it must be kept separate in a separate IRA from her existing IRA. She also may be allowed to leave the money in the 401k. She MUST decide what to do by 12/31/17 or the plan will decide for her. I cannot stress enough the importance of getting qualified professional advice before she does anything - inherited retirement plans can be very tricky.

My condolences on the loss of your mother-in-law.
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

You'd think it should be simple enough. At least one can bypass probate if listed as a beneficiary. Not to be morbid but I think I'll ask my mom about her TSP. She has told me that me and my sibling are the beneficiaries 50/50 split.

Comment

Working...
      X