Trading in Vanguard solo401k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading in Vanguard solo401k

So in this digital age, I'm guessing I can't change or balance funds in my i401k or choose Roth for the employee portion without calling Vanguard during office hours. I saw a bogleheads post from our own WCI seeming to indicate just that. Is this true? I guess I am a millennial after all... Anyone else dealing with this? This account has about half my net worth so it is annoying that I'll half to call whenever I want to rebalance.

Unless something has changed, Vanguard doesn't offer a Roth 401k option. That is one of the reasons it is near the bottom of the list for custodians to have a solo-k with (another is that they don't allow rollovers).
    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Vanguard offers an Individual 401(k) with a Roth option.  I have one.  I put 100% of my employee portion in the Roth.

You may need to file additional paperwork to make it active.  When I amended my plan from Fidelity, there was an option for a traditional account and a Roth account.  You have to check both.  I'm sure you can amend your plan to add it.

Vanguard will only allow you to trade mutual funds in their Individual 401(k) (admiral shares are available).  I've heard rumors that they are about to start allowing ETF's.  I think Vanguard is trying to push all their clients into ETF's.

Comment

Vanguard offers an Individual 401(k) with a Roth option.  I have one.  I put 100% of my employee portion in the Roth.

You may need to file additional paperwork to make it active.  When I amended my plan from Fidelity, there was an option for a traditional account and a Roth account.  You have to check both.  I’m sure you can amend your plan to add it.

Vanguard will only allow you to trade mutual funds in their Individual 401(k) (admiral shares are available).  I’ve heard rumors that they are about to start allowing ETF’s.  I think Vanguard is trying to push all their clients into ETF’s.

Thanks for posting that - sounds like they are catching up to demand!
        Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
        X