Paying children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

a 12 year old can mow a lawn but not vacuum a floor as a job?
    I got paid for doing a lot of jobs by someone other than my parents.

I guess my folks were cheap and lazy. Or smart. My older brothers got paid more allowance too!

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

It gets blurry but kids getting hired out for lawn work isn't uncommon but I don't see too many kids getting hired to be a handyman. If the kid is vacuuming other people's floors besides their parent's floor then it's likely kosher but I doubt they are. In the end, it isn't up to me but I personally would have a hard time justifying the OP's situation.
      I have seen enough on here. Vacuuming, wiping walls, doing the landscaping, changing filters, heck even yard work on some of them I think I’ll be able to validate. I was painting fences at 12 maybe I can get them painting walls.

my only problem is I have 4 kids. That’s a lot of rentals!

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post

good for him
        i would have a genuine concern about FMV if i were trying to do roths
        I never did Roth's on this $$. The point was that people will pay a 12 year old a good wage. He turned 14 and could get a work permit this past May (Is that just California?). Started working 3 days after his birthday at a local (very expensive) club washing dishes (he loves to cook and wanted experience in a kitchen). We took one week off to run the Rubicon trail (4x4 trail), one week off to go whitewater rafting, and 2.5 weeks off to visit the Galapagos. He still made $5200 for the summer with all those vacations! They were paying him $16 plus tips, which turned out to be $22/hour!!! fortunate for him, unfortunate for Momma, I did a Momma-match for him into his Roth for this W2 income.

Comment

Working...
        X