CityVest K1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G View Post
    Also no response to email asking for an update.

It's a great business strategy: Overpromise, underdeliver.

Thank goodness the underlying deal has returned 0.0% so far or I'd be really irritated at my stupidity for buying into the syndicated RE hype.
    maybe the FIRE physician crowd can write 5 more articles about them to convince more people to jump into the boiling pot with you

Comment

I think these investments are not for those who want a lot of hand holding or servicing. Okay, not for people who want any hand holding or servicing.

I am investor in three of the funds and have little concern or worry. I expect that the K-1’s will arrive when they arrive and that the funds will perform in line with expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post
        I think these investments are not for those who want a lot of hand holding or servicing. Okay, not for people who want any hand holding or servicing.

I am investor in three of the funds and have little concern or worry. I expect that the K-1’s will arrive when they arrive and that the funds will perform in line with expectations.
        Yeah, we've discussed this before. When somebody says to expect X on A, I'm irritated that it doesn't happen. And when I follow up on that previous guidance and get the blow-off, well I'm a little more than irritated.

The ironic thing is that the size of my investment relative to my portfolio doesn't even make it worth the hassle. That was also a good lesson that I wish somebody had told me: skip the penny ante BS.

Comment

Still waiting on the K1's or their replies.

G - you have a point. I think we have all been enamored by these investments - due to the FIRE crowd and of course WCI. For most of us - we would be fine with being less greedy, being patient with our boring efficient mutual funds and trying to save more. Oh well!

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro View Post
            Still waiting on the K1's or their replies.

G - you have a point. I think we have all been enamored by these investments - due to the FIRE crowd and of course WCI. For most of us - we would be fine with being less greedy, being patient with our boring efficient mutual funds and trying to save more. Oh well!
            It was a learning experience...unfortunately, the lesson keeps getting taught each April (or May/June this year). And each year, this RE investment gets to be a more miniscule portion of my portfolio while having an outsized influence on getting my to-do list cleared!

I did get a response today from Alan. He said they have not yet received info from most of the underlying investments. Mine was not among those, but the accounting firm they have contracted has whiffed, so they hired another firm, maybe two more weeks. That simple info is what I was after: anticipate filing for an extension. <shrug>

Comment

It was a learning experience...unfortunately, the lesson keeps getting taught each April (or May/June this year). And each year, this RE investment gets to be a more miniscule portion of my portfolio while having an outsized influence on getting my to-do list cleared!

I did get a response today from Alan. He said they have not yet received info from most of the underlying investments. Mine was not among those, but the accounting firm they have contracted has whiffed, so they hired another firm, maybe two more weeks. That simple info is what I was after: anticipate filing for an extension. <shrug>
              I am coming around to your thinking. Just not worth the hassle for (hopefully) an extra few thousand dollars.

Comment

I am coming around to your thinking. Just not worth the hassle for (hopefully) an extra few thousand dollars.
                I actually agree about the hassle, but shouldn’t you think in terms of percentage returns rather than absolute? If that couple of thousand is a 30% return on the investment, might be worth the hassle and you can back up the truck to invest a lot to make the returns tens of k.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Ragman View Post

I actually agree about the hassle, but shouldn’t you think in terms of percentage returns rather than absolute? If that couple of thousand is a 30% return on the investment, might be worth the hassle and you can back up the truck to invest a lot to make the returns tens of k.
                  I am using the entire pie as the denominator. That is, a few thousand dollars divided by my entire net worth is not worth the hassle. If there were 30% returns, I would be equally happy and nervous about them.

Comment

But then you shouldn't be going through a middle man, right? Extra fees, extra delay.

Comment

I just wish they would have sent out another communication to us so I could update my accountant - that would go a long way. To be in the dark while anticipating the K-1s week after week after they previously told us when to expect them was a little disconcerting. But I do appreciate you sharing what you found out.

Comment

But then you shouldn't be going through a middle man, right? Extra fees, extra delay.
                        Yes, fair point. I agree from that perspective. The question then would be, if you went directly to the underlying fund with a larger investment, would the management of the underling fund do better in minimizing your hassle factor. Probably not if this is not going to be a primary investment.

Comment

I am using the entire pie as the denominator. That is, a few thousand dollars divided by my entire net worth is not worth the hassle. If there were 30% returns, I would be equally happy and nervous about them.
                          Yes, I understood what you meant and agree with you. I infer you have no intention of making an even bigger investment to grow the numerator, and even if you did your annoyance would increase rather than becoming an absolute value worth the hassle? If so, fair enough.

Comment

I got the same information as G from Alan regrading their accountants. Hopefully they are able to get it out to us before May 17th.

Just like some of the above folks, convenience is a big factor for me with small kids and a working spouse. I also like my primary job as a physician and this has been a minor inconvenience. Will rethink twice before going for another investment like this.

Comment

Yes, fair point. I agree from that perspective. The question then would be, if you went directly to the underlying fund with a larger investment, would the management of the underling fund do better in minimizing your hassle factor. Probably not if this is not going to be a primary investment.
                              Apparently I would have gotten my K-1 a couple weeks ago and also not paid an extra layer of fees to cityvest. Oh well.

Comment

Its May 13th and still no sign of the K1's.

Comment

Working...
                                X