Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for RE syndications, where are your go to places to find opportunities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for RE syndications, where are your go to places to find opportunities?

I am looking to move a small portion of my portfolio to a RE syndication. Currently, all of my money is invested in index funds, and wanting to diversify slowly into RE. I am in my mid 30's, busy with practice and family, and do not have the bandwidth to devote to hands on RE investments. Currently, I'd feel comfortable with a 25-50K investment, and I am aware some projects have a higher minimum. In the coming year or two, I will be in a position to comfortably invest 100-125K. Syndications seem like a much easier way for a person like me to have exposure to RE and the tax benefits. I've read some other posts on this topic here at WCI, and wanted to expand the discussion on where you all look to find syndication opportunities. Listed below are a few of the options I came across here at WCI.....please provide any input and experience with these companies and any others you have worked with. Thank you in advance.

Napali Capital
    Praxis Capital
    Western Wealth Capital
    CrowdStreet
    RealCrowd

drmac15, do you have a specific type of real estate you are interested in? That may help narrow down your search. I don't have experience with those companies since I focus mostly on my own syndications, though they seem have a good reputation on WCI. Something I've heard from physicians is that they have a generally better experience when at least one of the deal sponsors is/used to be a physician. Folks I've spoken to have mentioned they feel the physician sponsor can communicate more on their wavelength, will understand value in more similar ways, etc.
    Hope that helps. Sorry I don't have any input on the folks you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by JacobC View Post
      drmac15, do you have a specific type of real estate you are interested in? That may help narrow down your search. I don't have experience with those companies since I focus mostly on my own syndications, though they seem have a good reputation on WCI. Something I've heard from physicians is that they have a generally better experience when at least one of the deal sponsors is/used to be a physician. Folks I've spoken to have mentioned they feel the physician sponsor can communicate more on their wavelength, will understand value in more similar ways, etc.
      Hope that helps. Sorry I don't have any input on the folks you mentioned.
      I am interested more in multifamily unit, but more important to me is track record of sponsor, fair set up for passive investors, and reasonable risk adjusted return for project.

Comment

I'm in a similar position as you, but am looking at funds as opposed to individual properties. I'm currently looking at Cityvest and MLG Capital as well as some crowd-funded individual properties. One thing I'm wondering about is how much of the yield is offset by depreciation on the K-1 (is it a lot or a little?). Also, when starting on the lower end of the minimum investment ($25-50K), how much of the yield is offset by the costs of having to do multi-state tax filing? Or is that not always the case? When starting with lower investment capital is it better to do a dividend fund with slightly lower yield but not have to worry about multi-state filing?

Comment

I talked to DLP, have an appt with Praxis . I agree it is hard to know where to go with your money. I am currently reading The Hands Off Investor--written by main guy from Praxis--it is a good book, I'm half way through. It clarified IRR and other metrics used well. I ordered it on amazon as like to hold a real book in my hands but you can download it for free on the Praxis website. I also want to look at Equity Multiple but they keep asking me for my personal info before I can access the opportunities-- which is annoying.

Comment

Not sure if you like podcasts, but if yes, then consider RealCrowd podcast, Mara Poling podcast, and the various BiggerPockets podcasts. The more you know about investment risk profile, sponsor, asset class, market, financing structure, etc, the more likely you are to choose good investments. Of course, sometimes it’s better to be lucky than to be good, but that’s not a strategy. At this time, I can’t really recommend any sponsor or syndication website without reservation.

Comment

Working...
            X