Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Landloard, utility checklist

Hi,

New landlord here. The property is a 3 unit in Albany with 2 units rented. The tenants pay for electricity. Do I need to call the utility companies (gas, water, garbage) and place them in my name? Thanks

Yes, if you, the landlord, are paying for gas/water/garbage then you should call these companies to open an account under your name. When the tenants move out, you call those companies to stop service until the next tenants move in.

Comment

The tenants should pay the utilities. If that means you need to submeter, still strongly consider it.

There’s no reason to minimize your use of gas, water, and trash if someone else is paying the bill.

Comment

Whoa Nelly

Comment

You need to put those utilities for which they don't pay in your name and also sign a leave on agreement with the electrical company. If you can't readily get sub-metering done another options is doing a RUBS program whereby you have them billed for the other services based on the square footage. Utilities are a big expense for you to swallow. You'll need to check their current leases to see what has been agreed to regarding utilities and when you can start transitioning over to them paying the utilities.

Comment

Is there an HOA that includes some utilities? I have a condo where the HOA fee covers trash and water (no gas). The tenant only pays electricity and any desired internet/cable.

Comment

Also think about how you are dealing with gardening, snow removal/sanding, internet, cable, municipal business license, insurance.

Comment

“Were you at a city hospital? In my hospital they would send you three consecutive bills, then poof, you would be absolved on having to pay it back. No wonder we're losing money.”

Snarky response based on one of your previous responses above.

What is the repercussions for not paying?
                • Gas is typically not the city.
                Water and garbage often are. You forgot sewage, which is probably a line item on water.
                Maybe they won’t collect?
                • Surely you jest. Set up accounts online and arrange payments. I would control that and the ability to shut off to avoid liability.

I can only assume you are paying utilities for a reason and rents include being compensated. You are fully capable of the mechanics of utilities. Call if you want, use the Internet for the mechanics.

Comment

Get the tenants to pay those utilities most def! They even cut the grass at one of mine.

Transferring back and forth between tenants is a pain in my experience, but I haven't found a way for my property management to do this. Any suggestions from the crowd?

Wasn't a big deal until I got to 5 units/tenants. Now a thorn in my heel.

Comment

Originally posted by hillaj1 View Post
                    Get the tenants to pay those utilities most def! They even cut the grass at one of mine.

Transferring back and forth between tenants is a pain in my experience, but I haven't found a way for my property management to do this. Any suggestions from the crowd?

Wasn't a big deal until I got to 5 units/tenants. Now a thorn in my heel.
                    Our utilities have a simple landlord leave on agreement form the landlord fills out once per property and then when the tenant leaves the landlord automatically gets the bills until a new tenant signs up. It's easy and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by dennis View Post

Our utilities have a simple landlord leave on agreement form the landlord fills out once per property and then when the tenant leaves the landlord automatically gets the bills until a new tenant signs up. It's easy and simple.
                      yea did that for electric but the water company doesn't do this in my area. bummer

Comment

Working...
                      X