buying a corner lot

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brains428
    replied
    Standard stuff like if you're hooked up to city water, do you get natural gas to the house.

For home building, you need to figure out the cost per square foot for the type of finishes you want. This has to be very exact, and some things are standard in some areas of the country, while they are upgrades in other areas of the country. Does the bid on cost per sq ft include heated/cooled square footage, or simply square footage under roof. If you're doing a full custom home, how much will your designer/architect run you in the area?

We are a little less than a month from finishing our custom home in the midwest. It's a lot more work than you'd think, but some of it is how picky you are. I think our home is beautiful, but there are many things I'd change now that I know much more about the building process. Heck, I'd even pick an entirely different lot.

Some people like corner lots, some people don't. For people with small kids, I'd say its a negative just because you're contending with 2 streets.

If you have any questions, let me know. I know a lot more about appliances, glass configuration, paint finishes, windows, doors, roof pitch, height, electrical, crown molding, brick work, garages, and many more other things I care to know about.

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied
    We rented on a corner lot with sidewalks and we said never again-- too much sidewalk to shovel in the winter!

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    Some towns have weird rules about road front. You might not be able to plant trees or put up a fence etc.

IS there sidewalk? Make sure you can get a driveway and garage.

Taxes are killer in ny. Look at similar properties to get an idea.

If it is right in town make sure you spend some time walking around the area. Get a feel for how busy the street is with cars and pedestrians. Hopefully no crime but I would check at all times of day. I literally just park my car and watch the neighborhood for a few hours at different times of day and days of the week.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied
    Wow, so so many details to consider and CordMcNally has only brushed the surface (as I’m sure he is well aware ;-) ). Do you have a realtor-friend you trust, one who is not trying to sell you something?

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    How busy is the intersection? What are your main concerns with a corner lot? I'd probably be more concerned about the age of the house.

Leave a comment:

• sandy
    started a topic buying a corner lot

buying a corner lot

Dear friends

i am planning to buy a small residential corner lot in upstate NY in a rural area to built a house. the lot is approx 0.32 acres and several setbacks based on the corner lot.
    It has been surveyed and maybe the last piece of land in the village. most of the houses in the village are ancients (built-in 1800-1880) and I do not want to go to the renovation route. I am a first time land buyer and have thought of the first time about building a house. What are your suggestions and tips so that I may not get stuck at any step? Is this a good idea for someone like me with a full-time working physician spouse and 2 kids one 7 years and one 1 year?
    please feel free to post both practical and emotional experiences.
    Thanks
Working...