No announcement yet.

buying a corner lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mother intended to buy one to downsize when she sold the family home. It's definitely far less involved but also less customizable. It never went through due to title issues on the property caused by the developer going under before finishing the subdivision.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy View Post
      has anyone considered a modular home and is it less involved than a stick-built home?
      Modular housing has pluses and minuses. The building technique is less important than builder.

Choose from floor plan and options available. The problem actually comes from the individuals involvement. Less flexibility with modular than onsite construction.
      Pick a house, I want you to build that house on this lot. How much?

I looked up in BBB modular housing company just for grins. Response to a leaking skylight.

“The company that manufactured this home filed for bankruptcy in 2010 and we acquired the assets of the company on 4/23/11. The company did not purchase any of the liabilities including defects. Unfortunately we will not be able to address her concerns. Details of the BK are below: Palm Harbor Homes filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in November 2010 and was eventually purchased by Cavco Industries, Inc. On April 23, 2011, Cavco Industries, Inc., through a newly formed subsidiary, Palm Harbor Homes, Inc., a Delaware corporation, acquired substantially all of the assets of Palm Harbor Homes, Inc., a Florida corporation ("PHH Florida") in a Section 363 bankruptcy purchase. Pursuant to the Sales Order entered by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware on March 4, 2011, Cavco and its subsidiaries have no liability for homes manufactured by, or claims against, PHH Florida.”

Modular housing is a very tough business.

Comment

If I were even thinking of a modular home, I would put a little more effort and build a proper home from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Brains428 View Post

Cost for everything is regional. Land grading and work can become expensive if there is some sort of rock underneath. There are also soil tests for appropriate compaction for building.

If money were no object, I would build again. It's actually pretty fun. It's just ridiculously expensive. Every little thing is an upgrade. You want a builder with a good reputation for doing good structural work, not just pretty work/or fast work. You can find that out through previous customers, and talking to the subcontractors can give you an idea of how much they like to work with a builder.

COVID has made things ridiculously expensive. Not sure if/when that will go down.

My wife has been the laid back one through all of this. I didn't realize I was as picky about certain things. Maybe it's because I'm footing the bill. Maybe it's because I'm a radiologist.

We decided to build because there wasn't much in the way of new construction in the city limits (or even much inventory built in the past 10 years). Also, when looking at remodels, we always ended up around the same price tag. Still more expensive than I anticipated.
          Thank you

Comment

has anyone considered a modular home and is it less involved than a stick-built home?
            One of the investment properties I own and lived in for a few years is a modular. Its older so very basic but what impressed me is it is square and tight. Basically built inside so no exposure to the elements.

Comment

Dear friends

i am planning to buy a small residential corner lot in upstate NY in a rural area to built a house. the lot is approx 0.32 acres and several setbacks based on the corner lot.
              It has been surveyed and maybe the last piece of land in the village. most of the houses in the village are ancients (built-in 1800-1880) and I do not want to go to the renovation route. I am a first time land buyer and have thought of the first time about building a house. What are your suggestions and tips so that I may not get stuck at any step? Is this a good idea for someone like me with a full-time working physician spouse and 2 kids one 7 years and one 1 year?
              please feel free to post both practical and emotional experiences.
              Thanks
              It's a lot of work. Consider a fixed up house.

As someone else who lives where it snows... a corner lot means you have extra shovelling to do every time is snows. Check the local requirements for who has to shovel, and when. Also, some cites require the city to pay for new sidewalks, or, like the place we lived 5 years ago - the homeowner. And corner lots take lots of concrete when the city determines my sidewalk isn't up to snuff. They decide, I had to pay. Crazy. Also expensive.

Sounds like a small lot, and I'd guess a small house - does it have enough space for all those feet? We used to dream about old new england farmhouses. Now we outgrew that phase. (we like the design, but not the age.)

Comment

Working...
              X