Donating appreciated shares of real estate syndications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donating appreciated shares of real estate syndications

Does anyone have any experience or insight into donating appreciated shares (with >1 year holding period) of a real estate syndication directly to a charity or to a donor-advised fund? My understanding is that it could be a way to flush capital gains and deduct fair market value, as long as there was no prearranged sale, and there is a 30% AGI cap, with a carryforward option. I don’t know how “marketable” it would be considered or how much it would cost to obtain an appraisal and complete form 8283. I also don’t know whether the charity would be willing to hang on to the investment until it exits or if they would try to sell to another investor in the syndicate.

Originally posted by Xeno View Post
    Does anyone have any experience or insight into donating appreciated shares (with >1 year holding period) of a real estate syndication directly to a charity or to a donor-advised fund? My understanding is that it could be a way to flush capital gains and deduct fair market value, as long as there was no prearranged sale, and there is a 30% AGI cap, with a carryforward option. I don’t know how “marketable” it would be considered or how much it would cost to obtain an appraisal and complete form 8283. I also don’t know whether the charity would be willing to hang on to the investment until it exits or if they would try to sell to another investor in the syndicate.
    No. I would not expect to be able to do it. You'l be doing well to pull off a 1031 exchange. I do it all the time with my appreciated mutual fund shares via my Vanguard DAF, but I wouldn't even try it with a private investment.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
    X