Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are your syndications doing currently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are your syndications doing currently?

Quick question since I know a lot of forum members here are invested passively in syndications or funds. How are those doing currently? Are they on target for their promised IRR? Are you still getting distributions on time?

I'm a new attending who was on track to do my first syndication next spring, but I have read a few horror stories about complexes at 50% occupancy or unable to collect rent and likely going to lose their entire investment. I read basically only positive news on the blog, but I would prefer to hear feedback from people actually diversified in the space.

Thanks!

Weird thing to be interested in considering what’s going on right now. Didn’t the cdc just announce no evictions for the year.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureDoc View Post
      Quick question since I know a lot of forum members here are invested passively in syndications or funds.
      Might actually make for a good poll..

Comment

I don't do syndications but I would be pretty concerned about the renter protections without any landlord protections.

Comment

Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post
          Weird thing to be interested in considering what’s going on right now. Didn’t the cdc just announce no evictions for the year.
          The cdc announced that? Evictions seem a little outside the CDCs scope. The powers given to the executive branch seem to have become unlimited.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusn View Post

The cdc announced that? Evictions seem a little outside the CDCs scope. The powers given to the executive branch seem to have become unlimited.
            https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...uthority%3Famp

Comment

Reports are rosy. I am dubious.
              I would wait. As a new attending, is there a downside to pointing the firehose at VTSAX in taxable? Or debt payoff or your business?

Comment

Quick question since I know a lot of forum members here are invested passively in syndications or funds. How are those doing currently? Are they on target for their promised IRR? Are you still getting distributions on time?

I'm a new attending who was on track to do my first syndication next spring, but I have read a few horror stories about complexes at 50% occupancy or unable to collect rent and likely going to lose their entire investment. I read basically only positive news on the blog, but I would prefer to hear feedback from people actually diversified in the space.

Thanks!
                Just another reason I don't recommend these.
                Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I'm invested in 5, two I organized myself and they're doing OK thus far. An office building one isn't doing well but it wasn't that good before COVID. An apartment complex in Texas is doing so so. A new apartment development in the MidWest is going great and refinancing, the proceeds of which will completely fund the second phase without the investors having to put it more cash.

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post
                    As a new attending, is there a downside to pointing the firehose at VTSAX in taxable?
                    Yes, it's boring and people think good investing is supposed to be exciting.

Comment

The downside of a taxable account is (wait for it)... taxes.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! This is obviously not my first priority, it's just part of the diversification that I am interested in pursuing, although if the only person in this thread who has actual experience is someone who is putting together syndications and several of his are not doing that great I think that's a fairly strong sign.

At at this point 100% of my assets are in tax advantage retirement accounts and this would only be something that I would be looking to use as diversification after we have maxed out our 100k a year contributions.

I I know it's much less hassle too just put everything in VTSAX.

Comment

At at this point 100% of my assets are in tax advantage retirement accounts and this would only be something that I would be looking to use as diversification after we have maxed out our 100k a year contributions.

VTSAX already has some real estate in it. Owning the entire US stock market as well as the total international market is pretty well diversified. Don't get into syndications just for the sake of diversifying. I could buy a whole bunch of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in the name of diversification but I'd be kidding myself for the real reason I bought them.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

VTSAX already has some real estate in it. Owning the entire US stock market as well as the total international market is pretty well diversified. Don't get into syndications just for the sake of diversifying. I could buy a whole bunch of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in the name of diversification but I'd be kidding myself for the real reason I bought them.
                            FatFIRE?

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! This is obviously not my first priority, it's just part of the diversification that I am interested in pursuing, although if the only person in this thread who has actual experience is someone who is putting together syndications and several of his are not doing that great I think that's a fairly strong sign.

How does real estate diversify your risk ?

Individual properties and syndications to me seem like they are a magnitude level undiversified risk than most country indexes.

80% of my investable assets are currently in real estate.
                              I aim to gradually move from real estate into index funds to diversify.

Comment

Working...
                              X