Do I need an LLC for a small farm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need an LLC for a small farm?

I am looking at buying a small amount of land (40-80 acres).  This is mostly for a place to hunt/camp, and potentially build a house in the future.  But most of the land I am looking at also has some tillable ground, so will be likely be rented out to a farmer on a cash-rent basis.  The income will be small, 3-6K a year, from the farm rental.

Is there a need for an LLC?  My thought is no.  State Farm says I will need a farm insurance policy (similar to a homeowners policy), and my $2 million umbrella policy will provide liability coverage on top of this.  My CPA says any farm-related expenses can be deducted on my personal tax return.

I like simplicity, so prefer to avoid an LLC unless I hear a good argument for one.

I have a small farm.  20 acres.  No LLC.

Comment

The only argument for one would be to further decrease liability above and beyond the umbrella. You know, someone sneaks on to the farm with their four wheeler, hits a hole in the ground, flips, breaks their neck, and somehow successfully sues you for more than $2 Million. Then you'd only be out the farm.

Admittedly, doesn't sound super high risk like owning an 8 door apartment building. That I would say definitely needs to go in an LLC.
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
      X