No announcement yet.

Should I create LLC for real estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would explore an LLC as the legal entity for the investment group.  Rather than the original poster him/herself as the member of that LLC, he/she might form a family limited partnership (FLP) to be the member of the LLC, with he/she as a partner in the FLP.  From a tax perspective, the LLC would issue a K-1 to the FLP as member, and the FLP would issue a K-1 to the individual partners in the FLP.  Asset protection would occur at the LLC and the FLP level.

Comment

Myself and a couple partners are forming a small investment group which will distribute a K1 for profit sharing.  Should I form a personal LLC for which distributions to flow into, mostly for taxes and and asset protection?  I’m new to all of this.

Click to expand…

Yes, an LLC should always be formed to own real estate. If your state allows “series LLCs” and you will own multiple parcels, that is what you need. I see no reason for each investor to be inside an LLC, but there are many facts I am not privy to at this point. You definitely want a good attorney and a good CPA and an air-tight operating agreement. The OA will determine dissolution, what happens if a partner dies or divorces or wants out (can s/he give her share to someone else or do the remaining partners have first right of refusal?), who makes the decisions, what if there is a tie, how much insurance do you carry, who is responsible for making sure the bills are paid, how do you decide what and when to buy and sell, how much $$ is distributed to partners annually and how is that determined, how much $$ are partners responsible for putting in if there is a shortfall, how much time are you expected to spend in the venture, and so on and on and on.

Is this just for investment real estate or does it include residence as well?

Comment

If it's any substantial amount of money at all, you should be hiring your own local attorney to at least review the contract/operating agreement/articles/pship agreement.  Someone in the estate planing, contract, business arena.  Should just be a few hours of time, max.

Comment

Working...
        X