Is Title Insurance Necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Title Insurance Necessary?

Chart TItle Insurance_Basic Vs Advanced.pdf My husband and I are closing on a home in the next few weeks.

Purchase Price: $792k
    HOA community
    2 Previous Owners
    Built in 2004 by regional building company

Our title company is offering:
    Enhanced Package: $2197.00
    Basic Package: $1555.00

Do we really need this insurance? Is this one of the "got to haves" like life, auto, home, health and disability insurance?

Thank you in advance,
    Amanda
    Last edited by Pharmacist Amanda; 07-01-2020, 05:30 PM.

It's one of those things that you most likely won't need but I wouldn't chance it. I'd be curious if anyone here has had or knows of somebody that has had issues.

Comment

i assume you mean buyers title insurance. yes we got. yes it feels like a scam. but the house was > 50 years old so who knows ....

Comment

whats the difference between the basic and enhanced package? (just curious)

Comment

In NJ, my lawyer would not close my house purchase if I did not get title insurance. And he was not involved with the company selection, so no financial interest there. And I hate to say it like this, but even the enhanced package is only 0.27739898989898989898989898989899% of the home's purchase price ($2,197 / $792,000). I would at least get the basic package.
          $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

A lender and any future lender will require a lenders policy. A property lien is a legal claim on assets that allows the holder to obtain access to the property if debts are not paid. It’s amazing in any dispute how fast a lien can get filed, no so amazing when the release filing is low priority.

“It will include the amount of taxes owed and who they are owed to. A title search will also outline whether there are liens or special assessments against the property and who they are owed to. ... Finally, a title search will outline any restrictions or easements on a property.”

Comment

Title insurance covers you for title problems that may be discovered after the title search. That can include unknown liens, unknown easements, illegal deeds, errors in the public record, forgeries, boundary disputes, an undiscovered will if you buy from the family of the deceased, etc.

Comment

Title insurance is vital. I've personally had title insurance pay for the entire cost of a rental home that ended up having a "bad" title after purchase. As noted above, it is a small percentage of the cost of the property and can avoid a large loss (the basic premise of insurance).

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Podnos MD CFP View Post
                  Title insurance is vital. I've personally had title insurance pay for the entire cost of a rental home that ended up having a "bad" title after purchase. As noted above, it is a small percentage of the cost of the property and can avoid a large loss (the basic premise of insurance).
                  Wow. Are you comfortable sharing details?

Comment

Thank you all. Appreciate the insight.

Comment

Originally posted by billy View Post
                      whats the difference between the basic and enhanced package? (just curious)
                      I edited the original post with a PDF link, page 2 has the chart of the differences.

Comment

Working...
                      X