RVU Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RVU Tracking

Has anyone come across an app or good way to track your RVUs? I'm interested in keeping my own record for comparison to my employers to ensure things add up.

I keep a spreadsheet to keep track of my surgical billed RVU's and use encoderpro for the actual RVU data.  Not hard - takes a few minutes once a week and makes me a better biller I think.  Keeping track of clinic visits and procedures is too cumbersome so I don't do that.

Comment

Most in our group use a spreadsheet. No procedures, so it's pretty straightforward. I just jot the consult or follow-up billing level on my rounding sheet instead of a checkmark as I sign my note, then at the end of the day put it in the spreadsheet, so I have my own records to compare to my employer's when they send out the scorecards.

Comment

Agreed with self tracking. Keep a copy of each clinic billing sheet, put in spreadsheet with a tally for each day. Track procedural cases in the same manner.

Comment

Hello,

I am currently involved in the development of an app to address the above concern, self-tracking RVUs. I would love to receive input and feedback in regards to what physicians are looking for in an app. Our design will most likely be two-fold, a self RVU tracker for comparing to employers scorecards and a non-RVU activity tracker to document time spent doing current activities that are not factored into RVUs. The concept of tracking non-RVU activities was brought to my attention by a cardiologist who would like to easily track time spent doing important activities that hospital admin don't factor into total RVUs but are just as valuable in reflecting the amount of work spent in clinic doing activities that are critical to patient care, aka: peer-to-peer, physician referral calls, patient calls, emails, etc.... These tasks are important to track as evidence that a clinic might need more resources allocated to them to improve efficiency.

Feel free to reply or send a private message.

Comment

"...interested in keeping my own record for comparison to my employers to ensure things add up."

If you feel the need to do this, you are probably working at the wrong place. It is the professional equivalent of checking your wife/gf's text messages. Nothing good is going to come of it.

...RVU are great and all, but unless you are the owner or paid by RVU charged out regardless of if they are collected upon (yes, many hospitals are that crazy), it is pointless. If you are paid on your collections and/or the group's collections (98% of private practices, most large groups, some hospitals), then you are going to have to trust the office/hospital/group billing and collection reports anyways. You are better off just knowing the rough average per patient for comparable payer mix colleagues of your specialty and counting patients if you like. It also doesn't hurt to look over monthly/quarterly/annual reports with the billers to try to identify any codes with good/bad reimbursement or rejection rate (although they should be bringing these to you regularly without your prompting). Why work with ppl you don't trust... and consume your time to do that? It's a personal choice at the end of the day. GL

Comment

Well most employers who pay primarily on RVU do not take into account collections. So you are wrong there care bear.

Comment

I respectfully disagree with CareBear. I found 50k In errors when I started tracking my numbers. This was in less than a year. That’s a lot of hard work that would have went uncompensated.

Comment

…RVU are great and all, but unless you are the owner or paid by RVU charged out regardless of if they are collected upon (yes, many hospitals are that crazy), it is pointless.

Well this is obviously exactly why people are asking about tracking them.  And as you seem to understand, it's not uncommon at all.

So, yeah, it would be pointless for just about anything else, but that's not what people are talking about.

Comment

I kept track for my first year for my procedures.. It was spot on. I'll probably do it for another year.

Comment

we get a spreadsheet each month with all the rvu's etc...and I have just taken several months of codes and transferred them to a separate sheet that I use as a calculator to input what I've done and where Im at for the month. It takes all of five minutes to set up a tracking sheet and know what your baseline is, bonus, etc...and how much that is weekly, monthly, etc...Its very easy and very useful.

Its great to keep track not because people are malicious, but rather theres a lot of just regular people and it goes through lots of hands and mistakes will be made. You cant know it if you're not paying attention.

Comment

Over sixteen years of tracking there were two different times I found substantial discrepancies. Each added up to a high four figure amount. Since it only takes take minutes per day, I keep doing it.

Comment

Kind of simple. Trust but verify.
                          You need to know how you are getting paid and have a reasonable method of verifying. The level of detail and frequency is the question. Some here in the past indicated different level of detail. At a minimum it is your productivity and efficiency record. Even at a fixed salary, you want it accurate for your next contract renewal or negotiation. It is to your benefit to spot areas of inefficiency even if it’s coded correctly. Accurate data and understanding benefits you tremendously.

The intent is not to replicate the billing system, but to have a log that allows you to verify the accuracy of the data.

Guarantee billing personnel change. They aren’t at the same pay grade.

Comment

I did it for a few years and every year it was off by about 1% (not in my favor).  I let it slide.

Comment

Working...
                            X