No announcement yet.

Private Practice Interview: First meeting etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just went on my first interview at a private practice and the recruiter basically told me that I should refrain from talking about money on the first visit. Refrain from asking about benefits and all the nitty gritty stuff. First ask them about their practice, where it’s going, how it’s different. Only after you think it’s a good fit do you “hash out the details”.

Agreed.

Comment

I just went on my first interview at a private practice and the recruiter basically told me that I should refrain from talking about money on the first visit. Refrain from asking about benefits and all the nitty gritty stuff. First ask them about their practice, where it’s going, how it’s different. Only after you think it’s a good fit do you “hash out the details”.

Part of it being a good fit includes salary, benefits, and all the "nitty gritty stuff". I'd try to lose the recruiter if I were you, they will only get a piece of your hard-earned money.

Comment

No way. Dont waste your time traveling etc...without knowing what at least the ballpark expectation is.

People say all kinds of things about fit, etc....but no one will care if the pay and expectations dont line up first. If it's a horrid practice you may not know until too late but pay wont matter.

I'd consider the recruiter saying that a red flag, they probably pay awful or he has had a hard time delivering interviewees etc...this is the market and how they learn. Practices with poor hiring skills will suffer as they should. better for everyone in the end.

What other professions are salaries and the like so taboo or you're blind to pay even after starting? Not too many, and usually that means someone is trying to take advantage of you.

Comment

After phone interviews, both parties have information and an interest in an employment contract.

Due diligence and negotiations are part of business. How compensation is anticipated to be structured
          and ballpark totals are important to both parties. No reason not to ask the question of the employer.
          Most interview trips are disruptive in terms of time and expense, let alone if relocation is involved.
          Is it worth exploring before or after a trip?
          1)How is compensation structured and any ballpark figures for this position you would care to share?
          2) Pause
          3) We can work through that later, what dates work for you?
          If you don’t ask the question, you maybe wasting a day or two.

Comment

I would agree.  Having at least an understanding of the ballpark salary is important before dedicating time, effort, and money to an interview.

If they are unwilling to discuss the numbers, that would raise a red flag for me.

Comment

I asked about income, ancillary income, buy-in/out, call pay, prior employees not making the partnership, etc. all on the first phone interview.  I made a question sheet and went down the entire sheet filling in answers as we talked.  If it didn't come up in the conversation, then I asked. Don't waste time traveling without asking important questions.

Comment

Working...
              X