patient satisfaction surveys as part of getting full pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got some details.
    -Patient satisfaction is 5% of pay (its 25% of the quality component (quality component is 20% of total salary)
    -Another 25% of quality component requires that we utilize the electronic portal to interact with 5% of our patients (which never happens because patients dont use the portal). It also includes eprescribing and patient education. So there goes more of paycheck.
    -the other 50% of quality component is to do proper metabolic labs and vitals on patients who take antipsychotics and renal fxn on Lithium patients.

Essentially its designed such that getting entire quality component is almost impossible to get.

Comment

Whether we like it or not, some of our compensation will increasingly be tied to various quality metrics. They key is that administration is honest and open-minded enough to seek the input of actual practicing physicians (not toady admin docs) so that the right things are measured, and that transparent, real-time data collection and improvement processes are in place to drive increased quality, and that it not just masquerade as such solely to reduce our compensation.

Also, some interesting observations regarding the difference between patient satisfaction scores and true patient loyalty can be read in "If Disney Ran Your Hospital" by Fred Lee.

Comment

I got some details.
        -Patient satisfaction is 5% of pay (its 25% of the quality component (quality component is 20% of total salary)
        -Another 25% of quality component requires that we utilize the electronic portal to interact with 5% of our patients (which never happens because patients dont use the portal). It also includes eprescribing and patient education. So there goes more of paycheck.
        -the other 50% of quality component is to do proper metabolic labs and vitals on patients who take antipsychotics and renal fxn on Lithium patients.

Essentially its designed such that getting entire quality component is almost impossible to get.

Do your patients know about the portal? I talked about it with all of my patients when it first became available and now nearly every single one has an account. I can't STOP them from using it to message me ;-) I actually really like this feature as it makes communicating fast and easy. If you just take a minute to discuss it with everyone, you can easily hit this target number in the next 6 months. And I assume you're already doing those labs. So even if you can't get your patient satisfaction numbers up, you should be able to get 75% of this money. Frustrating, but better than nothing?

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=co5aKOGcHaw

I try not to take this approach to these types of problems, but perhaps it sums up a lot of the current feelings about the direction of medicine these days.

Times change, very quickly these days.   Too quickly for many.

I got some details.

Comment

I wish we could eval patients ...

Comment

The only purpose of these tied-to-compensation satisfaction surveys is to reduce cost of compensation.  This sort of practice has been going on since the 1980s and 1990s.

The whole thing is set up so that those surveyed will be penalized.  The person filling out the survey thinks an 8/10 or a 9/10 for "exceeds expectations" is a great score, but they don't realize that unless they rate each and every category 10/10 "blew my mind beyond my wildest fantasy," the sales rep or dealer or technician or doctor or receptionist is going to take a monetary hit.

It's all veiled under improving quality, customer satisfaction, or in this case, patient health, so of course you have to go along with it.  But again, it's complete garbage.

The only way you should ever sign on to something like this is if it's tied to pay you didn't count on getting anyway.  Taking away some of your salary should be reason to find a better job elsewhere.

Comment

Here are some good ones:

- Dilbert by Scott Adams

- Dilbert by Scott Adams

- Dilbert by Scott Adams

- Dilbert by Scott Adams

Comment

Working...
                X