Malpractice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malpractice

In the middle of negotiations in Colorado, FM, going to be a new graduate. Private practice, part-time 0.5 FTE. per the contract (I have yet to sign), I have to pay 50% of the tail coverage.

Is this typical? Would you sign?

Sincerely,

- Very concerned

My understanding is that your malpractice coverage is paid for by the malpractice component of the RVU. So if you generate half as many RVUs as 1FTE you are still generating your 0.5FTE malpractice coverage. I would not sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Lejp82 View Post

In the middle of negotiations in Colorado, FM, going to be a new graduate. Private practice, part-time 0.5 FTE. per the contract (I have yet to sign), I have to pay 50% of the tail coverage.

Is this typical? Would you sign?

Sincerely,

- Very concerned
      No, I would not sign

Comment

I normally wouldn't recommend signing an agreement that doesn't state your malpractice and tail coverage being covered by the employer.

I guess I could imagine a scenario doing it if their pay was much better than competitors, and thus the great pay offset the tail coverage estimate that you could get a quote on prior to agreeing to it.

Comment

Have found very few private practices willing to cover tail at all, I would be stoked for any up front offer of it, but different specialties.

Comment

For private practice as opposed to employed, like Zaphod, I would consider any amount of tail coverage offered a bonus. When my private practice group decided to join the hospital, we had to pay our tail (actually, received a “loan” from the hospital with loan forgiveness over 5 years as part of the deal, but would otherwise have been 100% responsible).

Comment

Maybe it varies by field and region. Our malpractice is a flat fee per doc. No difference in the cost based on the number of RVUs they generate. Since it is a flat fee, the cost to the group is the same for a part time person as a full time person. I could imagine this would be the basis of wanting the doc to share in the cost.

The group pays all the premium for employees. Per diem people pay their own.

Comment

It is rare to have tail coverage paid for by the group in private practice anesthesia. Is it more typical to have this paid for in Family Med or Internal Medicine?
                Cobin Soelberg, M.D., J.D. - Principal & Owner
                Helping physicians make intelligent money decisions to build and protect their hard-earned wealth
                Greeley Wealth Management | [email protected]

Comment

The employer will be covering malpractice premiums during employment, but at termination coverage is 50% for tail, contract states salary is 100000 for part-time. Pay structure is not RVU. I would say for the area the pay is lower end of average because there isn't a sign-on bonus. I will be working in the hospital for the rest of my FTE which is through a different employer.

Comment

Working...
                  X