Call schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call schedule

Quick question, how do others split call in a single specialty practice? I am in a hospital owned single specialty practice with 6 people total (half are part time) and the people who are part time work fewer weekends a year. Are other places splitting call equally despite FTE status?

Our calls are roughly proportional to our FTE

Comment

Are you salaried or is there any kind of production compensation? Are there payments for taking call or is that already incorporated into the compensation structure? If 3 are part-time you don’t really have 6 doctors. You have FTEs worth 3 plus the part-timers which can be the denominator for apportioning call. Regardless, any changes will be resisted by those have to take more call. In PP the easiest way to make this palatable is to adjust the compensation formula which may be more difficult in an employed situation.

Comment

PT and full time take the same amount of call in my group. I think this is fair but I am full time so I am biased.

I will say that my perception is that I get just as many calls from the patients belonging to the PT folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
          PT and full time take the same amount of call in my group. I think this is fair but I am full time so I am biased.

I will say that my perception is that I get just as many calls from the patients belonging to the PT folks.
          Agree. Part timers should take equal call without some other financial incentive to the FT folks.
          Hospital owned good luck

Comment

what specialty? makes a big difference between surgery/ medicine vs anesthesia/rads/ ER (I guess Er would be the night shifts?). Im in anesthesia, take no call as a "day timer" but when I was working 5 days a week as a non call taker I probably averaged more hours doing cases than the call takers did/week. Plus had one week less vacation so worked more case hours /year than the call takers. They averaged more "being on call while at home" hours than me. But compensation was adjusted accordingly enough.

Comment

My group was paid and took call proportionate to FTE. This was a single specialty surgical practice. It’s not part time if you’re talking full time call.

Comment

If you are salary and have no extra pay for call, a call split based on FTE could be fair

If you are salary but get payed additional nightly call pay, fair is what ever you vote as a democratic group (either Q6 or call based FTE would be reasonable)

If you are incentive based for performance ($/WRVU) with no nightly/weekend call pay, then fair is Q6 period.

Comment

Working...
                X