No announcement yet.

Transition from ind. group to hospital W2 employees--What factors to consider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition from ind. group to hospital W2 employees--What factors to consider

The health system my independent group services was bought out and our contract has been up for renewal for a bit and they keep putting us off with 90 day extensions because they are "too busy to talk with us." While the hope is we can keep some semblance of what we currently have (contracted, independent group), the reality is that employed positions will most likely be proposed as that is what the other health system uses in our specialty.

Have others been in a similar situation or transitioned to employed positions? What are factors to consider in the negotiations? Are there things you wished you had considered but didn't?

What we currently like about our situation is the abililty to schedule shifts, set workloads, vacation amounts, hire additional partners, etc as we see fit.   We're also able to bring in more money by being independent than as employed docs and can determine what sort of retirement plans and insurance we want to offer.

Are there typically strings attached if tail coverage is provided by the new employer?  I've priced out some tail policies and they are less than I had thought they would be (about 20,000-30,000).  Depending on the strings attached, maybe we'd be better off to buy our own tails if we wanted to leave.

Working...
X