Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
    Why are you still in this job

You say you like the people yet your partners treat you this way with Medicaid dump
    Doesn’t sound like the partners like or respect you if they are treating you like this, which is sad.

Probably best to hoist anchor, shove off to greener pastures. You’re a physician, so I don’t anticipate you’ll have too much difficulty finding a superior role.
    Last edited by F0017S0; 04-01-2022, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeswim View Post

I'll admit I'm not a good negotiator. I've used a physician coach and a lawyer to review contracts and help me with these decisions in the past (including this most recent job change). I spent thousands on both. Here's the thing - I am a quiet, soft-spoken woman, and men tend to talk down to me in these situations. They make me feel guilty for asking for more money. They question why I need a lawyer. I've literally been laughed out of a car dealership when I tried to negotiate, and I'm not sure that would ever happen to a man. I sometimes wonder if I should go into these negotiations with a lawyer literally standing next to me.

So now I'm in this position, and of course I'm upset that it happened. Of course I know I'm being taken advantage of. It's frustrating and humiliating. I did apply for another position a couple months ago, but it's in a city I'm not super enthusiastic about living in. But that doc was making seven figures a year, and he ran his practice like a well-oiled machine. I wonder if maybe I should reach out to him again.

I do appreciate all the advice on this thread.
      I get it, Im not a great negotiator either. However, you do know this, and are realizing situation where it is against you, so you do have that going for you. You have to avoid places/situations where this is absolutely necessary to get a fair shot, just the unfortunate truth. Maybe some day you'll come across a reasonable group/practice that wont instantly try to take advantage of you.

Of course the current practice loves you, you're seeing the worst paying patients AND doing pro bono work. Stop pro bono immediately, thats insane, you literally cant afford it, dont make it easy to be taken advantage of.

In this case probably best to find reasonable employment with terms you can accept.

Comment

I am retired now but I still remember being a shy poor negotiator female doc. I overcame this by starting my own practice. I think that as derm you could do this. You could set your own hours so that it made childcare easier. You could take no medicaid and pro bono cases. The worst thing would be to allow people to continue taking advantage of you. This hurts you psychologically and financially.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
          I am retired now but I still remember being a shy poor negotiator female doc. I overcame this by starting my own practice. I think that as derm you could do this. You could set your own hours so that it made childcare easier. You could take no medicaid and pro bono cases. The worst thing would be to allow people to continue taking advantage of you. This hurts you psychologically and financially.
          Shy poor negotiating is a mental block. Happens to males as well. And not only physicians.
          “NO thank you” is okay. It really is.
          ”You could take no medicaid and pro bono cases.”
          Sounds like “No thank you” in the current situation might be a step in the right direction. “Hey, I am only part time. That is not free.”
          Remove the male/female or shy/aggressive from your mind.
          Now if they negotiate an even split, you have negotiated and chance at being treated equally.

That by no means improves this practice. Separate issue.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeswim View Post
            I've literally been laughed out of a car dealership when I tried to negotiate, and I'm not sure that would ever happen to a man.
            I am a man, and trust me the same nonsense happens. Passive people lose no matter their sex, how old they are, what they look like, etc. They will always try to screw you over, the difference is whether it results in a fight or not that they are willing to engage in. There may be a few people out there, like Mike Tyson or something, that can generally just get a fair deal off the bat because everyone is afraid of them, but in general every transaction in life is a constant struggle to make it fair or to just choose to decide it's not worth the fight and just accept getting taken advantage of to some degree. Knowing which battles to pick is a big part of it. In my first job, my employer tried to screw me at every turn, because that is what they do, and I chose to engage them aggressively every single time. On every single reimbursement, on every single RVU report, all of it. I did not want to accept that I was getting paid with a leaky bucket and wanted it to be watertight. Shouting matches and threats of lawyers ensued. It was emotionally exhausting. As you can imagine, I became a headache for them and ultimately they made me so miserable that I voluntarily quit. From this, I learned there has to be at least a little bit of give and take, unfortunately.

In my experience, the people who are often able to make the best deals are often strong assertive women. I can't tell you how many times I have been screwed over by a contractor trying to manipulate and take advantage of me by pretending to be my friend. I know women who manage properties who are hawkish and demanding with contractors. The contractors are afraid of them and know that they will not get paid until the work is completed and they will not be able to talk their way out of delays and screw-ups. Whereas with me, when I complain about a contractor taking too long or doing poor work they will say "You gonna do me like that bro? I thought we were friends. I can't just re-do the whole floor (that I screwed up) or repaint the house (that I painted the wrong color), I can't just spend money for free to make you happy. Friends don't treat each other like this bro. It actually looks better like this anyway, you should be happy, oh and I'm not doing any more work until you pay me for all this" Happened multiple times with multiple contractors. You have to be willing to be the bad guy and accept that there will be disagreement. If you are somebody who seeks to avoid disagreement at all costs, the employer will pick up on this and use it to manipulate you into taking an unfair deal.

I recently had a job offer where the employer refused to negotiate at all. It was take-it-or-leave-it. My attempts to try and make the deal acceptable were met with basically personal insults to me (that I was greedy for wanting more money, lazy for wanting more days off, thought I was more special than the other doctors for wanting an individualized contract, etc). So I left it. No big deal, sometimes this happens. This doesn't mean that I was a bad negotiator or weak. What it meant was that the employer did not want me in that position bad enough to make any accommodations. It's just like dating and relationships. When somebody really is interested in someone, they will break the "rules" they have. When the employer said "we don't negotiate on any contract terms" what they really meant is "we don't negotiate on any contract terms FOR YOU." I don't lose any sleep over the names I got called. A place that was that unreasonable and valued me that little was not a place I would have wanted to work.

Agree with other posters that you are being exploited. I don't understand why you, or anyone would take a 70% paycut. Even if there is the promise of quick partnership without buy-in, that is still excessive. There must be more to this story. Even if they started paying you fairly, I am not sure I would want to work with people who would do this to a colleague. It seems doubtful you will ever be considered an equal partner and offered a fair buy-in at this place even if you do stick it out.
            Last edited by Nash22; 05-01-2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X