• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    Some rural just struggle to survive.
    Primarily Medicaid related assistance.
    https://ruralhospitals.chqpr.org

More than 130 rural hospitals have closed over the past decade, and nearly 900 additional rural hospitals — over 40% of all rural hospitals in the country — are at risk of closing in the near future. Over 500 hospitals are at immediate risk of closure because they have experienced large financial losses over multiple years.
    I agree..however this org made a ton in federal covid relief esp when they laid off physical/occupational therapy and other support staff for 6 mths. They got money

Comment

If you're not willing to leave then you're just relying on their goodwill to give you a raise. Few business these days will likely do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Savedfpdoc View Post
        Well said….we should tell medical students this! Lol.
        There is nothing wrong with becoming a physician. Comp had a high floor but a lower ceiling. What is missing is reality. It is a sport just like an athlete, just different skills.
        A college coach recruits athletes. Gets a contract signed.
        A pro team recruits athletes. Gets a contract signed.
        Funny how the relationship changes after the contract is signed.
        Any college or pro sports team will always protect their interests, not the athletes.
        To the employer, it’s just business. Make no mistake, that hospital administrator is looking for their next job too. It’s just business. Doctors don’t get fat endorsement contracts or call the plays.

Yes, some players become coaches and some physicians become administrators.

Many similarities. Not so nice when it comes to business. Contracts count. Everyone is expected to be replaced.
        This is never taught to athletes or medical students. School of hard knocks.

”I agree..however this org made a ton in federal covid relief esp when they laid off physical/occupational therapy and other support staff for 6 mths. They got money.”
        6 months does not change the financial outlook for two years or more.

Comment

I am very happy I work for a private group and not the widget factory down the street. We strive for individuality, and productivity is not held against you. If you want to be a part timer 2500 wRVUs a year or 10000 wRVUs a year it doesn't matter. We get paid by how we produce individually. We have some Docs who are coasting and others that are cranking it out any way they can. Both are happy , because that is the way they want to practice and no negatives are held against them either way.

Comment

I’d passive aggressively call out the admin. Not replying is unprofessional.

Comment

Thought about setting up my own practice …but the nuts and bolts of it (hiring, firing, keeping toilet paper stocked etc )does not seem very appealing…we can’t even hire good ma staff so not sure I’d be able to do better in that regard
              Your fears and the inertia pushing you against setting up a new practice or finding a new job for that matter is why administrators and hospitals can screw you over. They know at the end of the day, 95% or more of people will just take it because they fear the unknown more than the known injustice.

I left my academic job about 4 years ago because I was tired of being controlled. I actually took a significant pay cut going into pp. I now make more than the chief of surgery at my old institution and work according to my own schedule. At the time it was very scary and stressful, I'm now so much happier.

If you want that raise, find another offer/opportunity. It doesn't even have to be a higher salary than the one you have now. But it will give the leverage you need. However you need to be ready to walk away if you get denied. Otherwise you will be left in a completely neutered position.

Comment

Are you paid for every wRVU you produce? Meaning the more wRVU's the more money?

Also, is your $/wRVU right below the median or significantly below?

Both of these details are important.

Comment

Originally posted by Sampter View Post
                  Are you paid for every wRVU you produce? Meaning the more wRVU's the more money?

Also, is your $/wRVU right below the median or significantly below?

Both of these details are important.
                  Yes paid for every wrvu

media $/wrvu for the number of wrvus I’m producing is $56, I’m at $44..

Comment

Re working less…I’m strictly wrvu based so if I don’t meet my projected salary at end of yr my contract says they can deduct difference from next check. Although not sure how strict they will be on this I’d say I’m only 10k short….might be worth a try.
                    Is that projected salary based on your higher production? That doesn't seem fair.

Comment

So you are producing 90% in terms of total wRVU's but that won't meet your projected salary needed in terms of the contract? Clearly that is a huge problem. If you are 10K wRVU short for the year, that likely would mean you would have to be in the 99% to meet the salary expectation.

It should be eat what you kill in terms of wRVU's and compensation as long as meeting some definition of full-time in order to get full benefits and seeing some reasonable amount of patients.

Comment

Originally posted by cards67 View Post

Is that projected salary based on your higher production? That doesn't seem fair.
                        Yes that’s projected salary although at my current pace I’ll make 20k over my base salary so I could work less since I have that cushion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sampter View Post
                          So you are producing 90% in terms of total wRVU's but that won't meet your projected salary needed in terms of the contract? Clearly that is a huge problem. If you are 10K wRVU short for the year, that likely would mean you would have to be in the 99% to meet the salary expectation.

It should be eat what you kill in terms of wRVU's and compensation as long as meeting some definition of full-time in order to get full benefits and seeing some reasonable amount of patients.
                          Not at all… my projected base salary which I’m getting a biweekly draw from only requires 5600 wrvus. At my current pace I’m going to hit +6200 wrvus. The problem is that the fm docs making 5600wrvus are getting way more than me for the same amount of wrvus according to mgma

Comment

There is more to the business side of the practice than work RVUs. What is the payer mix, how are labor costs and other expenses for your practice? Your compensation may be unfair, but it also may be fair. It’s hard to know if you don’t know the ins and outs of the practice finances. The fact that you don’t think you can find a better compensated position in your area says something.

And as far as the Covid money from the government, my local hospital received about 50 million, and the Covid losses they experienced amounted to about 70 million.

If you are very unhappy, I strongly suggest you make a move. If you plan to stay put, you might consider reframing how you think about your work and your compensation. Carrying anger or frustration with you on a daily basis is not a good recipe for health, happiness, or longevity. I’ve worked for a variety of organizations over the years. At the fancy pants university hospital there were some great things like brilliant, dedicated colleagues to learn from. But making change in that behemoth of an institution was like trying to turn an aircraft carrier. I’ve worked in other institutions where the collaborative culture was amazing, but there were other resources that were lacking. I work to appreciate the good and accept or find a work around for the bad in each place that I have worked.

Comment

What kind of noncompete do you have? I would second the recommendation to think long and hard about starting your own practice. Maybe it’s difficult to hire good MAs because they don’t want to work for that kind of institution. You can build a great workplace on your own terms, one that team members will compete to work for. I know a couple of clients who have done just that. Yes, it’s scary, yes, it’s risky, but you aren’t going to be handed your dream job - you’ll have to stick your neck out to make it happen. I don’t know of any private practice owners who worry about how much tp to order. Sh!t or get off the pot. I guess that’s an intentional pun.
                              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post
                                What kind of noncompete do you have? I would second the recommendation to think long and hard about starting your own practice. Maybe it’s difficult to hire good MAs because they don’t want to work for that kind of institution. You can build a great workplace on your own terms, one that team members will compete to work for. I know a couple of clients who have done just that. Yes, it’s scary, yes, it’s risky, but you aren’t going to be handed your dream job - you’ll have to stick your neck out to make it happen. I don’t know of any private practice owners who worry about how much tp to order. Sh!t or get off the pot. I guess that’s an intentional pun.
                                Well said lol

Comment

Working...
                                X