Asked for a raise part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cards67 View Post
    No surprise. Unless you have a competing offer and/or are willing to walk, they don't care what a piece of paper says. For all we know they may be the best paying employer in the area and/or have docs lining up to take your place.
    Yes. Administrators are better at looking you in the face and lying about why it isn’t accurate.

Comment

Re working less…I’m strictly wrvu based so if I don’t meet my projected salary at end of yr my contract says they can deduct difference from next check. Although not sure how strict they will be on this I’d say I’m only 10k short….might be worth a try.

Comment

I don’t have any competitive offers, I’ve been looking for 6mths…it maybe same everywhere here, rural town

Comment

Are you able to set up your own practice? What about leaving the area? If they know you have no real motivation to actually leave, then your negotiating leverage is limited.

It makes me sad that employers have beat the patient care out of medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by Savedfpdoc View Post
            I don’t have any competitive offers, I’ve been looking for 6mths…it maybe same everywhere here, rural town
            i thought rural areas were supposed to be better paying.... did it seem better paying when you were deciding where to practice?

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post

i thought rural areas were supposed to be better paying.... did it seem better paying when you were deciding where to practice?
              Not necessarily. A lot goes into compensation but usually any better pay in rural areas is from subsidies and not necessarily from patient collections.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Not necessarily. A lot goes into compensation but usually any better pay in rural areas is from subsidies and not necessarily from patient collections.
                Some rural just struggle to survive.
                Primarily Medicaid related assistance.
                https://ruralhospitals.chqpr.org

More than 130 rural hospitals have closed over the past decade, and nearly 900 additional rural hospitals — over 40% of all rural hospitals in the country — are at risk of closing in the near future. Over 500 hospitals are at immediate risk of closure because they have experienced large financial losses over multiple years.

Comment

It depends on the specialty but generally they know there aren’t many or any options to jump ship so those who are rooted in the area are a captive audience. If OP isn’t willing to walk there is little incentive for the bean counters to part with additional beans. I generally won’t ask for a raise if I’m not willing to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Savedfpdoc View Post
                    Re working less…I’m strictly wrvu based so if I don’t meet my projected salary at end of yr my contract says they can deduct difference from next check. Although not sure how strict they will be on this I’d say I’m only 10k short….might be worth a try.
                    Based on my experience in corporate medicine if you produce short of your "draw" for whatever timeframe, the admin will not hesitate to get that money back, even if its a few hundred. They'll come after you like a backwoods repo man if its a few thousand. Now, based on a former partner's experience after a major surgery they did allow him to pay it back over time (essentially came out of the next 2 quarters true up), but pay it back he did.

Comment

You might have to accept that you are just another widget in the industrial medical complex which strives toward mediocracy and interchangability Doctor= PA = widget. If you work fast you are an outlier, if you work slow you are an outlier, you need to strive towards mediocracy.

Comment

Yeah this is the primary problem with employed status. Admin Job is squeeze every penny out of you as efficiently as possible.

If you're full time...check.
                        If you're overprotective...check.

​​​​​​They can ignore complaints and requests. Harder to ignore proporsals.

Formulate one with a higher initial per rvi base for base production and a tiered higher per rvi for each productivity tier that's comparable to areas around you and submit that for response.

That's a lot higher bar to ignore with silence.

Comment

Originally posted by DamageInc View Post
                          Re: getting offer from competitor - what if you want to keep your current position but just paid more fairly? Current position could just let you walk and bring in someone who won't complain about being paid fairly.
                          If you want to keep your current position they will not offer you more. Why should they? What are you going to do if they say no. You will grumble but will stay.

The only way to get a fair pay is get a serious offer from a competitor and be ready to move. It happens a lot in the tech and business field. But in healthcare people want to do that legwork and hence are getting screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Random1 View Post
                            You might have to accept that you are just another widget in the industrial medical complex which strives toward mediocracy and interchangability Doctor= PA = widget. If you work fast you are an outlier, if you work slow you are an outlier, you need to strive towards mediocracy.
                            Well said….we should tell medical students this! Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Brains428 View Post
                              Are you able to set up your own practice? What about leaving the area? If they know you have no real motivation to actually leave, then your negotiating leverage is limited.

It makes me sad that employers have beat the patient care out of medicine.
                              Thought about setting up my own practice …but the nuts and bolts of it (hiring, firing, keeping toilet paper stocked etc )does not seem very appealing…we can’t even hire good ma staff so not sure I’d be able to do better in that regard

Comment

Yes it did especially when they guaranteed my salary for 2 yrs while I built up my practice. And I understand they paid me good money while I only say 10-15 per day but after yr 2 I’ve been making hay, taking care of all the “headache” patients, and working w limited staff.

Comment

Working...
                                X