E/M Coding Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E/M Coding Training

Does anyone know of a good course that teaches the basics of E/M coding for hospitalists?

http://thehappyhospitalist.blogspot.com/p/free-evaluation-and-management-hospital.html

Comment

From our Residents' Financial Guide, pg 20 ~

Coding providers and information resources:

Any or all three of our doctor financial guides can be downloaded from the "Doctor Resources" area of our website. You are free to unsubscribe if you don't want to receive the newsletter.

Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

In the long run this is probably more important than many of the discussions we have on this board / blog in terms of maximizing wealth / income, dependent on specialty of course.  However I can tell you few physicans have much interest in learning the admittedly inane details!

Comment

However I can tell you few physicans have much interest in learning the admittedly inane details!

I find a great way to learn is to simply ask/study what has most recently changed. That gives a great example of something you can dive into!

Comment

My hospital's billing folks gave me a cheat sheet (I don't have an electronic copy unfortunately) that I started using for every E/M visit. Turns out it is remarkably easy to outpatient level 4's even for things that you think are fairly simple- for example, est pt with a detailed history, new problem and you write an rx = level 4. I'm less helpful for hospital admissions but I would recommend getting in the habit of looking at a resource for every single admission/hospital day for a week or two, after which it will become easy. I also have a billing person with my hospital who I email from time to time with questions and this is a great resource to have as well.

Comment

Consider getting the latest CPT book and reading the section(s) pertinent to you.  No one will understand it as well as you will, because you  you did (and hopefully documented) the work.  I ended up taking the CPC exam and never did a review course or anything remotely close to studying for it.  Generally speaking, I have found coders don't really do a good job.  The medicine is so complex, it makes it hard for someone with a HS/college education and some on the job training to do it well.

As others have said, this is probably one of the most important and least recognized ways to increase you revenue.  I have also found that being a CPC and MD makes it a lot more difficult for the insurance companies to inappropriately down code my work, as the person on the phone/reviewing my records doesn't understand the medicine.

Comment

AnesPain, how did you become a CPC?

Comment

AnesPain, how did you become a CPC?

Curious to learn this as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X