Letters of resignation advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBME View Post

This is a very sound strategy. One tactic I took the last time I quit, as it was clear I was no longer aligned with the direction my department wanted to go. For months they tried to convince me to get on board and why and I'd say why I didn't think this was a good idea. I realized soon enough that this wasn't going to work and went on the market. Once I secured a new job and had accepted, I put in my two weeks. I framed this as "you guys deserve to have the best team going forward with the new strategy. Thank you for giving me the chance to try to shift my mentality to be in sync with the new direction we're going in. I have determined that I am not able to do this, and thus I'm no longer the best person for this position. Thank you for giving me a chance, and best wishes finding someone who can now better perform in this role than I am able." Totally made them feel they had the freedom to choose while I remain convinced they were headed in the wrong direction.

I think ultimately I would have been let go but my boss was one who didn't like conflict and I knew it, so I lifted a huge weight off his shoulders and I think he was really grateful.
    TL;DR It’s not you, it’s me.

Comment

Let your boss and colleagues know in person, then keep it short and simple in your resignation letter/email. Stay low during the lame duck period; the less drama, the better. That's how I did it last year. I have seen some drama during the lame duck period and it has never led to anything good.

Comment

My take on all these professional formalities and theatrics:

- most of us just aren't that important and valuable to these institutions (the hospital doesn't love us back). We'll be replaced and forgotten sooner or later. Several of us have multiple bosses, some of whom we haven't met, and we might encounter only a few times a year. Should we postpone our resignation date or wait until we return from vacation so we can sit down with all these people who barely know us, and who might not even care?

- For those of us who are exceptions and are more difficult to replace, administrators can't afford to hold petty grudges against us for this kind of stuff.

- Similar to relationships, there really is no good easy way to break up with someone to make them feel better about it. The best you can do is try to make it quick, honest, and less painful on yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by JBME View Post

This is a very sound strategy. One tactic I took the last time I quit, as it was clear I was no longer aligned with the direction my department wanted to go. For months they tried to convince me to get on board and why and I'd say why I didn't think this was a good idea. I realized soon enough that this wasn't going to work and went on the market. Once I secured a new job and had accepted, I put in my two weeks. I framed this as "you guys deserve to have the best team going forward with the new strategy. Thank you for giving me the chance to try to shift my mentality to be in sync with the new direction we're going in. I have determined that I am not able to do this, and thus I'm no longer the best person for this position. Thank you for giving me a chance, and best wishes finding someone who can now better perform in this role than I am able." Totally made them feel they had the freedom to choose while I remain convinced they were headed in the wrong direction.

I think ultimately I would have been let go but my boss was one who didn't like conflict and I knew it, so I lifted a huge weight off his shoulders and I think he was really grateful.
          I actually do not like this explanation in the resignation letter. It can be construed as criticism and as a negative. The last thing you would want to do is open new wounds. You will need them to write letters of "recommendation" or at the very least, verification, for future licensing and credentialing for the next ten years or longer. You want them to think of you as a good guy/gal and nothing more than that.

One more thing. I did this badly, early in my career, and it could have come back to bite me. When I resigned after two years in my first job, I told enough people such that it was widely known when I hand delivered my resignation to the head of the practice. It was disrespectful and not cool. Fortunately, he had the professional maturity that I lacked at the time and did not hold a grudge when he hired me back later in the same year.

Comment

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post

I actually do not like this explanation in the resignation letter. It can be construed as criticism and as a negative. The last thing you would want to do is open new wounds. You will need them to write letters of "recommendation" or at the very least, verification, for future licensing and credentialing for the next ten years or longer. You want them to think of you as a good guy/gal and nothing more than that.

One more thing. I did this badly, early in my career, and it could have come back to bite me. When I resigned after two years in my first job, I told enough people such that it was widely known when I hand delivered my resignation to the head of the practice. It was disrespectful and not cool. Fortunately, he had the professional maturity that I lacked at the time and did not hold a grudge when he hired me back later in the same year.
            Fwiw while I see your point and forgot my exact words they didn’t come across as criticism. But yes always make sure your boss is the first person to know you are leaving

Comment

I honestly don't think a long drawn-out letter is better than a short and sweet email. We got a short and sweet resignation email not too long ago and we didn't take it as a slight at all. Some people need to be in different situations for personal or professional reasons. As long as there wasn't an issue the group didn't know about. Is this a democratic group, CMG, or hospital employed position? A resignation only needs a few things: your intent to resign and your last day. If you're retiring then feel free to get as wordy as you want. It isn't going to be practical to let all your colleagues know in person in EM. It may be months before you see them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Me too. I heard Chicago is gorgeous in summer.
                MPMD recommended some really nice restaurants in the Windy City. Now that would be awesome. A farewell dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Me too. I heard Chicago is gorgeous in summer.
                  i will pick the wine
                  White.Beard.Doc is paying

Comment

Working...
                  X