Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail Insurance Qs/Limits

Hi All,

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully some valuable advice. Im a long time listener and reader but first time poster.
    I have been in practice in CO, Vascular Surgery for just under two years, but due to a bunch of circumstances around financials, family and work travel requirements, I am leaving the practice at the end of the month to take another position in a hospital system in WA.

The practice I am currently with ​​​​​​ does not include tail coverage unless I get fired without cause or leave with cause. They use COPIC and currently have $2/4m limits. What is your best advice to have tail insruance? is it to go through COPIC, or a specific broker? and what limits would be best? Is it the $2/4 or I have heard of $1/3.

I assume indefinate coverage is the best route? It seems CO has a Statute of Limitations of 2 years, but can also be 3 under specific circumstances.Do the tail limits need to match the malpractice limits for some reason? What are the pros/cons of going with lower limits?

Thank you so much

I hope others can add some insight to this topic. Would your new employer be willing to help out on the tail coverage?

Comment

I am sorry probably not very helpful but I was under the impression in CO judgements are limited to $1 million even including the so-called “economic damages”... is that accurate? If so I’m wondering why you would need $2 million per incident.

Comment

I went through this in another state, I chose a policy similar to my standard policy. Law suits typically try to hit the policy limit, and if you have a below standard limit policy you may have extra personal exposure. I would also assume that Vascular disasters are big disasters in regards to liability

Comment

Working...
        X