Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida medical license and NICA $5k fee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida medical license and NICA $5k fee?

We are applying for Florida osteopathic license.  Can someone who recently applied clarify who has and who is exempt from paying the entire $5k NICA fee?

Does every physician have to register for it? How do they determine who pays the minimum $250 vs $5k?

https://www.nica.com/what-is-nica.html

This appears to be OB related.

Comment

There is one of those in VA. All docs pay, but OBs pay more.
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

http://flboardofmedicine.gov/help-center/am-i-required-to-pay-the-florida-birth-related-neurological-injury-compensation-association-nica-fee/

Yikes.

Comment

Non-obstetricians pay $250 per year. I carried a FL license for a number of years, and it was one of the most expensive to maintain due to the NICA fee, which is on top of the usual licensure fees.

Comment

I was a Florida resident and paid 2 years. Now I'm practicing in another state and I just received the bill for another $250. I am no longer practicing in Florida, do I still have to pay for the fee? It doesn't really make sense to me to pay while I'm not even practicing in Florida. Please clarify if you will. Thank you.

Comment

Do you still carry a FL license?

Comment

Interesting.  I have never had a Florida license but the malpractice premiums exceeded $100k in many areas for OB.  Lots of south Florida OBs went "bare".  I think this fee is a response to this.

Comment

All docs pay, regardless of specialty. oBs pay more I think. Few exemptions (like residents don’t pay, active duty military etc). I’m path. It’s $250 annually for our specialty.

It’s been around a long time

Comment

I was a Florida resident and paid 2 years. Now I’m practicing in another state and I just received the bill for another $250. I am no longer practicing in Florida, do I still have to pay for the fee? It doesn’t really make sense to me to pay while I’m not even practicing in Florida. Please clarify if you will. Thank you.

If you want to keep FL license you have to pay it, even if you don't practice there.

Comment

If you do locums, does the company pay this fee? How do they get OBs to practice in Florida?  Or any docs at all? Oh, wait, is this why HCA is opening a million residencies there?

Comment

Locals should absolutely pay this, as long as it’s a marginal cost. For example, if you are an out of state physician and need to get a FL license to do locums then it’s a marginal cost associated with that opportunity. If you were already practicing in FL then it was a cost you are already paying. But you can always negotiate that it be paid.

Comment

*Locums

Comment

This seems the most relevant post related to my question so I'll post here instead of creating a new thread:

I obtained FL license in anticipation of locums assignment that fell through.
                            I've never practiced there and don't intend to in the future.
                            My mailing address changed and I didn't realize there was a NICA fee until 3 years had passed.
                            I received a letter stating I owed $1000 (3 years previous plus 2020).
                            I voluntarily relinquished my FL license in 1/2020.

Is anyone aware of any ramifications of not paying the $1000 fee if I don't plan to practice in FL in the future?

Thanks ahead for any responses; stay well, stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpark01 View Post
                              This seems the most relevant post related to my question so I'll post here instead of creating a new thread:

I obtained FL license in anticipation of locums assignment that fell through.
                              I've never practiced there and don't intend to in the future.
                              My mailing address changed and I didn't realize there was a NICA fee until 3 years had passed.
                              I received a letter stating I owed $1000 (3 years previous plus 2020).
                              I voluntarily relinquished my FL license in 1/2020.

Is anyone aware of any ramifications of not paying the $1000 fee if I don't plan to practice in FL in the future?

Thanks ahead for any responses; stay well, stay safe.
                              not sure. ill ask around my group.

last year i pay it thankfully.

Comment

Working...
                              X