Need advice searching for first attending job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice searching for first attending job

Hello all and thanks in advance for the information/advice.
    I am a 4th year orthopedic resident. I am applying for sports med fellowships. My spouse and I have started looking for areas of the country that we would like to settle, but have not decided on a locale yet. We want to be in a warmer climate with close proximity to a large city. My fellowship will likely be in Midwest/Northeast with no plans to settle in that area. Parents both in Midwest, but want to be closer to us. As far as my practice goals, I prefer private practice over hospital employment, but I would be happy with either for my first employment.

My questions to the community:
    1) What is the best way to discover physician jobs in areas that you are not living in, since a lot of the best jobs are not publicized?
    2) Once I know where we want to live, when should I start contacting private or hospital groups regarding employment opportunities?
    3) Should I sign a contract before fellowship, or is it beneficial to form connections through fellowship for job placement?

1.) Directly call groups.
    2.) There's no such thing as too early.
    3.) I would only sign once you've determined that particular group is the best fit for you.

With that said, it's going to be pretty difficult for you to determine what is the best place for you to live when you don't have the chance to really spend some time in that particular area.

Comment

don't underestimate the value of a polished CV/cover letter in this process
      cold email to a group is greatly enhanced by professional looking documents
      PM me if you need help w/ that process

Comment

The absolute "best way" is through networking. Most likely attendings and second best is residents that have preceded you. That is how you find "since a lot of the best jobs are not publicized".
        The second best is "cold calling".
        The important piece for you to get a handle on is the timeline when you want to sign a contract. The goal is to have the potential offers on the table so you choose "the best". That is extremely difficult to do. Groups plan on expansion in advance and actually understand the difference between "potential interest" and "actually offering a contract".
        Do not discount the value of the "fellowship" networking. Those mentors are sports med docs. The national meetings are a good place to start networking as well.
        Probably leans more towards academic than PP. However, networking is networking. Realize that you will likely need to fill your workload with plain ortho rather than 100 % sports med until you can ease over and build your "sports med" practice that you have the fellowship training.

I would not sign a contract until November of the Sports med fellowship. The serious job search and contract hopes should be in the fall or your fellowship.
        The preliminary job search is never too early.

Comment

I’d like to bump this thread for some more info.

I’m currently in an IM sub-specialty fellowship and starting the job search. Due to family reasons (spouse also in a fellowship but has another year left) I am stuck staying in the area for at least one year however the local job market seems awful so not expecting to find something I want to stay in long term. We are also looking at resettling in a different area of the country without strong connections.

1) When cold calling a private practice do you really just google it and call the front desk asking for someone’s e-mail?

2) If I see a practice that is recruiting but I couldn’t join until 2024 would there be any benefit to reaching out just to get my CV on file for the future or would that be weird/useless?

Comment

Originally posted by BigoteGrande View Post
            1) When cold calling a private practice do you really just google it and call the front desk asking for someone’s e-mail?

2) If I see a practice that is recruiting but I couldn’t join until 2024 would there be any benefit to reaching out just to get my CV on file for the future or would that be weird/useless?
            1.) Yes. Ask if there is a particular physician/person that is mainly responsible for recruiting and get their contact information.

2.) I would make contact with them. It would benefit both of you.

Comment

If you're looking for only 1-2 years, most pp won't be interested.

Larger institutions will have a need for coverage and would entertain a floating doc for this often when presented.... especially if trained in that system

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
                If you're looking for only 1-2 years, most pp won't be interested.
                Yeah I totally understand that. If I could find a good pp job locally I’d probably stay 5-10 years but seems to be mostly hospital employed and pay MGMA 25% for a 75% workload type job with no partnership carrot to dangle. In that case I plan to take what I can get and look for a PP job in the future when I am more geographically flexible and we want to settle down for the long haul.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

1.) Yes. Ask if there is a particular physician/person that is mainly responsible for recruiting and get their contact information.

2.) I would make contact with them. It would benefit both of you.
                  Agree.
                  Especially in hard to recruit areas it would be amazing to have docs calling who might have interest in a few years

Comment

Working...
                  X