Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fulltime telemedicine job?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • fulltime telemedicine job?

    I currently have a full time private practice job and doing telemedicine on the side. After running the numbers however I noticed that I can probably make twice as much on a per hour basis when compared to my fulltime job. Fulltime job obviously has benefits, but even so it seems like doing telemedicine is much more financially productive.

    Thus I was wondering, would there be any downside on plunging 100% into telemedicine? I do like my private practice job and think it's a unique opportunity for me, but the convenience of not needing to drive and living anywhere with telemedicine seems attractive as well. I would say telemedicine job itself is not as enjoyable as practicing face to face. I am also concerned whether or not doing telemedicine would be frowned upon if I were to say return to an in-person job in the future (like when having gap time between jobs/training when applying for new job)?

  • #2
    id imagine anytime doing a job thats not the same job as the one you are doing now will be frowned upon. Are you PCP?

    Comment


    • #3
      What's your specialty? If you say you can make twice as much full-time doing telemedicine then you either need a better job, you're overestimating what you'll make with telemedicine, or maybe a combination of both.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
        What's your specialty? If you say you can make twice as much full-time doing telemedicine then you either need a better job, you're overestimating what you'll make with telemedicine, or maybe a combination of both.
        Agree.
        I can't imagine telemedicine would be frowned upon but depends on specialty

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm Family Medicine/Sports Medicine

          I'm anticipating to make $250,000-280,000 on my full time job as of now (average 7hours a day as practice still growing). Absolute max I can probably make (seeing 30+pts a day 5 days a week) is probably $400,000 but not sure if I'll ever get there.

          I've been timing my telemedicine job (FM only) on an hourly basis and I can easily average $250/hr. if I did 8hrs a day, 20 days a month for one year, 250x8x20x12 = $480,000. It is nonstop phone calling and virtual visits though so I'm not sure if I'd burn out (I've only had the chance to do <2 hours each time). There is pretty much unlimited patients in telemedicine job as of now so I don't need to worry about finding enough patients. However I am pretty much on my feet all the time in clinic too and it takes 1.5hr commute back + forth for me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Interesting...I wouldn't mind doing this (I'm just not FM tho).

            Comment


            • #7
              This reminds me a lot of the radiology workflow. All the work comes to you and theres a seemingly unlimited amount and little of your day spent not making money. in that way its unsurprising that you could make more when you cut out all the BS.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kev777zero View Post
                I'm Family Medicine/Sports Medicine

                I'm anticipating to make $250,000-280,000 on my full time job as of now (average 7hours a day as practice still growing). Absolute max I can probably make (seeing 30+pts a day 5 days a week) is probably $400,000 but not sure if I'll ever get there.

                I've been timing my telemedicine job (FM only) on an hourly basis and I can easily average $250/hr. if I did 8hrs a day, 20 days a month for one year, 250x8x20x12 = $480,000. It is nonstop phone calling and virtual visits though so I'm not sure if I'd burn out (I've only had the chance to do <2 hours each time). There is pretty much unlimited patients in telemedicine job as of now so I don't need to worry about finding enough patients. However I am pretty much on my feet all the time in clinic too and it takes 1.5hr commute back + forth for me.
                Pretty much all the reviews I've seen have been the opposite where people are clamoring for patients and it's not balls to the wall for 8 straight hours of patients.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't believe that you would actually ever net $480k. This time of year telemed is crazy busy. Have you done it in July? You would have to have many state licenses to stay busy.

                  The bigger part, IMO, is that if you tried to keep this pace up your soul would be destroyed. You are talking about doing like 80 telephone consults per day. I am FM and did telemed for a couple of months between jobs, and could only stomach 2-3 hours per day. It's not why we went into medicine. There are some things in life that are more important than money. If, for you, these important things are location freedom and time independence than full time telemed may play a role. I just couldn't wait to get away from it though.

                  Plus, you did a sports fellowship, so clearly that was something important enough to give a year of your life to... and it should earn you more than the average family doc... are you sure you want to give that up?

                  Best of luck!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by familydocPA View Post
                    I don't believe that you would actually ever net $480k. This time of year telemed is crazy busy. Have you done it in July? You would have to have many state licenses to stay busy.

                    The bigger part, IMO, is that if you tried to keep this pace up your soul would be destroyed. You are talking about doing like 80 telephone consults per day. I am FM and did telemed for a couple of months between jobs, and could only stomach 2-3 hours per day. It's not why we went into medicine. There are some things in life that are more important than money. If, for you, these important things are location freedom and time independence than full time telemed may play a role. I just couldn't wait to get away from it though.

                    Plus, you did a sports fellowship, so clearly that was something important enough to give a year of your life to... and it should earn you more than the average family doc... are you sure you want to give that up?

                    Best of luck!
                    Thanks! This is the insight I’m looking for. Im doing 100% sports/nonop Ortho in my main gig so I did telemed more as a refresher to keep my FM/general medicine knowledge. I have not had the chance to do telemed a full day so not sure if I can actually do it a whole day without burning out.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Coughs and colds wanting antibiotics all day with a smattering of other walking wounded stuff....that's migraine inducing just thinking of it. Can you prescribe a Xanax and Percocet for that?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Highly recommend hundred percent telework. You don’t have to do the intensity you’re talking about. There’s different ways to put things together (some clinical, some insurance review, etc. Give yourself freedom from wasting time driving, office headaches, dealing with angry patients regarding controlled meds. Get more rest, time to exercise, time to go with kids to after school activities, live in nicer communities/climate, etc.
                        Always beats the grind of regular outpatient clinic.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          COVID has so changed medical practice that I would hesitate to predict the future. As long as you believe you could return to conventional medicine if 100% telemed does not work out, then go for it.

                          Remember that if you go all tele, then all your expenses come out of your revenue. Maintaining the platform, insurance, office work, etc.

                          ​​​​​​

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I would consider myself super efficient. By being so I create pockets of free time for myself throughout my shift. This has value for me. I suppose could could eliminate it, monetize it and make more money. It might be worth it, it may not be. I am not in the position to make that decision.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I’ve been 100% telemedicine since March 13, 2020. I had two offices, gave up one, and the lease on the second ends in May. I do not see myself ever returning to in-person work. Lower expenses, convenient, and you can’t beat the commute!
                              My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X