Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lateral Move

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
    Not saying they will apply in this case, but sometimes for profit = profit above all else. In the for profit psych world there is no question quality and patient interest comes last. Over many years we've found that employees who thrive in one of those environments (ie, for profit vs mission driven) do not thrive in the other. This applies to techs, nurses, NPs, admin, and doctors.
    Fair enough; apologies if my reply comment was misconstrued or brusque. But I am relatively young, the company is young, has great upside, and it would be (potentially) lucrative and educational having spent time in the for-profit device arena.

    Overall, sentiments here seem to be “hoist anchor, shove off.”

    Comment


    • #32
      Update: I spoke with the local recruiter with whom I worked to secure this position. I gently inquired about "areas of flexibility" in the offer, to which she responded that the offer is essentially at the top of the scale for the position. She said that while it is my decision to counter, her recommendation (given that she has placed numerous people at the Company) is that there isn't much upward deviation available to me. Given that the benefits are fully covered by the Company, plus the significant hourly rate, that essentially doubles my pay, excluding the equity grant. In other words, it sounds like this offer was carefully thought out and approved by the Executive staff.

      Comment


      • #33
        I would just add, as an employee of a large hospital system affiliated with an academic institution, I have known many employees who have changed to a new position in other departments/divisions, which effectively is a promotion for them (albeit, the job itself is different). If you really enjoy what you do, and the new position at the other company doubles your salary to do essentially the same job, that sounds like a reasonable next step in your career. You can return to an academic setting in the future if you take the offer and later find that it is not a good fit.

        Comment


        • #34
          It's better to have tried and failed than to live life wondering what would've happened if I had tried

          Alfred Lord Tennyson

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Kamban View Post
            It's better to have tried and failed than to live life wondering what would've happened if I had tried

            Alfred Lord Tennyson
            that's actually why I applied to med school at 26/27. Wouldve had a decent life without it, but with a lot of what ifs

            Comment


            • #36
              Update 2: spoke to my older brother (who is a private equity man, an associate or whatever the rank structure is) who has more experience in the professional world and working with packages like these. He thinks it is solid and that I am considering the role for the right reasons (i.e. that I've plateaued at my current position and there is no upward or lateral movement available to me). He also said that the stock is trading at a discount and if this product works as intended and the company maintains their technology transfer agreements, the upside is quite good.

              I replied yesterday that I wanted to set up a time (hopefully tomorrow, but might not happen) to discuss my start date. If not, I have until Monday to speak with the company; I don't expect the start date to be a huge issue like negotiations over nuclear weapons stockpiles or the partition of Berlin. Should be a painless term to finalize.

              redsand: I did throw in for a few internal positions and approached the other division heads; I usually got the old "hoist anchor, shove off."

              billy: It's stories like yours that reinforce in my head that an MD is still in my future, despite a less than stellar UGPA. I'd be interested in hearing about your non-traditional journey at some point in the future.

              Comment


              • #37
                I would take the new job. I’ve told my staff that if they think they’ll be happier in a different position, I would be happy for them to move on. I don’t own them and would want them to be happy in their lives.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Am I missing something? How is the new job a “lateral move” when it blows your current job out of the water.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post
                    Am I missing something? How is the new job a “lateral move” when it blows your current job out of the water.
                    Perhaps the post's title wasn't the best wording, but solely based on title as "Clinical Research Coordinator." The duties are also essentially the same.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Congrats OP on the offer and moving it along. One additional small counter is to ask them to cover your payback severance.

                      From the academic world - this is quite normal and not unheard of folk moving to industry for their payday. Even PIs will do that regularly without hesitation (our GI chief did so earlier this year).

                      Be prepared to work that much harder with little fallback. The good thing being recently public is that there's less risk that startup/incubator companies.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Update: sent my preliminary acceptance; pending Docusigning the official paperwork. Obviously keeping a low profile at current job. Start middle of January, so I’ll likely have to do two weeks of COBRA.

                        Overall, I feel pretty nervous. But I feel that I have the tools to hit the ground running on day one for the most part and learn the vagaries along the way. And given that there won’t be any movement at the current role (which isn’t a bad role by any stretch of the imagination), I feel as if it is time to move on, learn new lessons/skills, meet new people.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by doctorbone View Post
                          I would take the new job. I’ve told my staff that if they think they’ll be happier in a different position, I would be happy for them to move on. I don’t own them and would want them to be happy in their lives.
                          Funny thing is that I’m not “unhappy” at my current gig. It’s fine, that is if I wanted to remain flying with center autopilot in command, with the straps thrown off, just monitoring the instruments during cruise. I know I won’t advance (because I inquired) and it isn’t a lack of performance. The people are solid, as well. But no one can go through life on autopilot, because when poop hits the fan, autopilot turns off, and then surprise sets in when least expected. Best to keep moving, learning, meeting…

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by F0017S0 View Post
                            Funny thing is that I’m not “unhappy” at my current gig. …
                            This is how bosses keep you at the job with stalled income and benefits and no job advancement and if you grumble a little, a few crumbs will be thrown your way.

                            I went through this early in my career where I was happy with my job, had great patients, was learning and trying out new things. But the pay remained stagnant and no prospect of becoming a partner. Every time I complained they would mumble about poor collections, insurance cutting down their rates, managed insurance, cost of goods increasing and everything else they can think of. This went on for almost 7 years and in that time they rode their Mercedes while I had to be content with a Honda, they had mansions while I lived in an apartment and they bought fast food franchises while I had nothing.

                            The best thing was when I gave an ultimatum and they thought I was bluffing since I must have cried wolf many times. When I did eject out they begged me to stay but by then the curtain lifted over my eyes and I realized how foolish I had been all along to stay in that "happy job". And I have prospered in my current solo job and now have not a Mercedes but a Tesla and do have that mansion. Alas, no fast food franchise yet :-(

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Kamban View Post

                              This is how bosses keep you at the job with stalled income and benefits and no job advancement and if you grumble a little, a few crumbs will be thrown your way.

                              I went through this early in my career where I was happy with my job, had great patients, was learning and trying out new things. But the pay remained stagnant and no prospect of becoming a partner. Every time I complained they would mumble about poor collections, insurance cutting down their rates, managed insurance, cost of goods increasing and everything else they can think of. This went on for almost 7 years and in that time they rode their Mercedes while I had to be content with a Honda, they had mansions while I lived in an apartment and they bought fast food franchises while I had nothing.

                              The best thing was when I gave an ultimatum and they thought I was bluffing since I must have cried wolf many times. When I did eject out they begged me to stay but by then the curtain lifted over my eyes and I realized how foolish I had been all along to stay in that "happy job". And I have prospered in my current solo job and now have not a Mercedes but a Tesla and do have that mansion. Alas, no fast food franchise yet :-(
                              Well, I'm a little far off from the Mercedes (though an F350 Super Duty would be swell), mansion (living at home with mom), and the fast food franchise. But I think this is a good "risk" to take with the potential upside. The absolute worst case is that the product fails in two-three years, and I'm out of a job. But I lined my pockets with $115k and higher with bonus, Best case scenario, this company goes gang-busters like Dexcom did recently and I have equity that is quite valuable. I count my blessings for my health, education, and this/future opportunities coming my way.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Kamban View Post

                                This is how bosses keep you at the job with stalled income and benefits and no job advancement and if you grumble a little, a few crumbs will be thrown your way.

                                I went through this early in my career where I was happy with my job, had great patients, was learning and trying out new things. But the pay remained stagnant and no prospect of becoming a partner. Every time I complained they would mumble about poor collections, insurance cutting down their rates, managed insurance, cost of goods increasing and everything else they can think of. This went on for almost 7 years and in that time they rode their Mercedes while I had to be content with a Honda, they had mansions while I lived in an apartment and they bought fast food franchises while I had nothing.

                                The best thing was when I gave an ultimatum and they thought I was bluffing since I must have cried wolf many times. When I did eject out they begged me to stay but by then the curtain lifted over my eyes and I realized how foolish I had been all along to stay in that "happy job". And I have prospered in my current solo job and now have not a Mercedes but a Tesla and do have that mansion. Alas, no fast food franchise yet :-(
                                Same at my old job dangling a false "partnership" in my face but didn't think I would leave bc my wife has cancer... I now make more only working 4 days a week than I did taking 6-10 calls/month. When I gave notice "oh we'll match why are you leaving"... no thanks, I had given them opportunities to match their own offer to new hires and they wouldnt.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X