Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much vacation do you get, and how much do you take? How do you take it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much vacation do you get, and how much do you take? How do you take it?

One advantage of seniority is lots of PTO.

- I get 320 hours per year. This includes 6 holidays, CME, personal time, sick time under 5 days, vacation. It does not include jury duty (up to 2 weeks) or bereavement (3-5 days I think).
    - This is standard for every specialty in our multi-specialty group.
    - This is a lot of time for a psychiatrist. I think PTO tends to vary by specialty (it seems anesthesia gets a lot of PTO in general).
    - We are allowed to roll over up to 120 hours (3 weeks) per calendar year.

This will be the third straight year in which I have more than 120 hours remaining at the end of the calendar year, and therefore I will be losing hours. This is very unfortunate. I did not ever think I would be that guy, but what is happening is two fold:

1. When I take a week of vacation, it costs 40 hours, even though I only work 4 days per week. However, when I take 1 day of vacation, it only costs 8 hours. So I can take 3 days in a week, work 1, and only burn 24 hours. I don’t do this to be manipulative but these less than full week vacations have worked out for the last few years because of my kids’ school and sports schedules, and so I’ve actually taken quite a lot of time off that doesn’t burn as much PTO as it would if I took full weeks.
    2. Probably for the same reason I got ahead at one point a few years ago and haven’t caught up. So I take about 7 weeks worth of PTO each year but because I have been carrying over 3 weeks for several years, I’m still losing 1 week per year on average.

The poll question is, how many weeks per year of total time off do you take (not just get)?

- Answer in whole weeks, rounding. If you take a lot of PTO less than a full week, add it up (in my case, it would be 7 weeks even though it’s more like 4-5 full weeks and another 5-6 2-3 day blocks).
    - Include all time like holidays, CME, personal/vacation time, sick time. This is time you can take at your discretion (subject to call and clinic schedules, etc) as opposed to jury and bereavement which is due to outside circumstances. Do not include FMLA which is not counted toward your PTO.
    - extrapolate based on your FTE status. If you would get 6 weeks as a full time employee but work half time and get 3 weeks, answer 6 weeks.

Finally - those of you who have consistently taken all your vacation or at least not lost any, how do you vacation? How often do you take time off? Do you take fewer longer vacations or more shorter vacations? For those with school-age kids do you only take time when your kids have school breaks? Do you have any tips for maximizing vacation time?
    up to 1.99 weeks per year
    2.04%
    2 up to 3.99 weeks per year
    18.37%
    4 up to 5.99 weeks per year
    34.69%
    6 up to 7.99 weeks per year
    16.33%
    8 up to 9.99 weeks per year
    10.20%
    10 up to 11.99 weeks per year
    6.12%
    12 up to 13.99 weeks per year
    6.12%
    14 or more weeks per year
    2.04%
    Other
    4.08%

I don’t really get vacation, per se. I have a set number of contracted shifts I work a year, I have nonclinical work I have to get done at my leisure. No actual time off.

I have plenty of time and and a reasonably work-life balance. I just don’t have “vacation time.” We don’t go on vacation much because we have three little kids and childcare is a challenge. We take a lot of long weekends to the lake (if you count that).

Comment

Ah good point. Hmm. Well, i might consider that even a shift based worker has a full time number (say 150 12 hour shifts) but didn't consider every non working day "vacation" or even "PTO".

But maybe just answer based on actual weeks you consider vacation?

Comment

I'm in the same boat as VentAlarm . We have a minimum number of hours per partner although I work above the minimum currently. Most of our vacations are Thursday through Monday as that's about as long as we enjoy trips. We don't really count visiting family as vacation and COVID obviously messed up travel for everybody. Now things are back open and we have a child. Before we'd do 6-8 trips a year. We'll see how that works out with a child but I'd guess it'll probably cut it down to 3-4.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
          Ah good point. Hmm. Well, i might consider that even a shift based worker has a full time number (say 150 12 hour shifts) but didn't consider every non working day "vacation" or even "PTO".

But maybe just answer based on actual weeks you consider vacation?
          Yea. I mean, my boss made it clear - they don’t care what we do on our time off as long as we meet our contracted shifts and do the rest of our work on time.

It’s tough to say what our steady state vacation will be since we’ve had all of our kids in the past several years and moved for fellowship then attending and Covid. Between wife being pregnant several times and having all our kids, it’s been tough to travel. We’ve gone home usually for a week or so each year, sometimes more, sometimes less. Usually done a week long trip each summer with in-laws. Long weekend at the beach each year with my family. Try to do a 3-5 day trip to the mountains or something with just me and the wife.

I think, right now, kids are the limiting factor, not work. Also, I like traveling, but I don’t know that I would really want to travel 8 weeks a year. Maybe when the kids are bigger that would change, but right now, I appreciate stretches off when we’re at home when I can play with the kids, help around the house, drink beer with the neighbors, exercise and take care of things on the honey-do list.

Life has seasons, this seasons isn’t one where we travel much. I expect that will change as the kids get older. Either way, it’s still fun.

Comment

Here is how it worked in my prior setup. I get 6 weeks per year. Although it sounds like a lot, I’m actually on weekend call a little more often than once every 2 months, and per our legal team, weekend or holiday call days don’t actually count as “work days”, so our “thirty days off” per year aren’t increased by weekends or holidays that we work. Stupid.

But I’m also paid by RVU production, so vacation time is coming out of my pocket even though it’s “PTO.” I think all that means is that I still get a paycheck.

To me it wasn’t worth not taking my vacation days. Mentally and emotionally and often physically, I needed the time away. I usually took whole weeks at a time and tried to get them to coincide with my kids’ off school schedules. This didn’t always work out since I had partners who also wanted school holidays off and the call schedule needed to be covered. I would take random clinic days off when my OR schedule started getting pretty booked out, but I never took off surgery days unless it was part of an entire week off.

Oh, my 6 weeks off also included time away for conferences or CME activities, so it wasn’t all fun and games.

Comment

I take around 4 weeks (20 days) a year. Basically all the major holidays, the week between Christmas and New Years, a week around Memorial Day, a few days of CME, and a miscellaneous week for a wedding, etc.

I am paid by RVU production. I can take as much time as I want (within reason probably up to 12 weeks or more), but I’m not getting paid.

I have really young kids so big trips are not ideal right now. Hope to take more time off as they get older and we can plan for nice, long vacations.

Comment

I get 5 weeks off. Plus CME and holidays. And sick time
                shift based, so even if I’m not working I can plug in vacation days when I’m off. Or block time off and not get paid

probably take at least 8 trips per year, mostly with the kids. A lot of these are shorter, and/or trips to see family. Living in CO makes it easy to do a quick road trip for something fun. We pull the kids out of school several days per year

Comment

We get 7 regular days off a year that the office is closed. Of course, the people on call still work.

New hires start at 4 weeks going up to 8 weeks after one has been a partner for 20 years.

i take all my vacation or nearly all. I mostly take full weeks. A day is a day, for counting vacation. We don’t allow rollover days for partners but the employees can roll over a few days.

Comment

Contract says I get 10 weeks off. I picked up a few shifts on one of my weeks. Probably will take the rest of them off, but don’t really travel much for lots of reasons, so days off are just spent hanging out with the family at home. Some of the time will be used as paternity when our next kid comes along in the spring.

Comment

Roughly 17 weeks off service. Additional 2.5 weeks vacation and 2 weeks “academic” (basically vacation but don’t schedule any trips just in case there is the chance meeting to attend. All major holidays are also off unless on call in which case I get a makeup day off later on.

Comment

Private practice, so I get as much off as I like. That said, the opportunity cost is significant, and being early in my career I've not taken much time off. In 3+ years I've taken two full weeks off for vacation. Otherwise, it's mostly a few long weekends throughout the year. I'd guess it's just over 2 weeks total a year
                        Typing this out makes be realize I should take more time. As it is, I don't work nights, weekends or holidays and call is practically non-existent. Thus, I get plenty of time to recharge. My kids are also very young so they're not "vacations", they're "family trips" and are busier than working

Comment

Self employed. can take as much or as little as I want, when I want provided I make sure patients are taken care of.

Hopefully once this COVID mania subsides or dies, I will start taking vacations.

Comment

"One advantage of seniority is lots of PTO."

52 weeks per year. I take all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
                              Self employed. can take as much or as little as I want, when I want provided I make sure patients are taken care of.

Hopefully once this COVID mania subsides or dies, I will start taking vacations.
                              How much do you actually take?

Comment

Working...
                              X