No announcement yet.

Resources to Evaluate Coding knowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resources to Evaluate Coding knowledge?

Hey folks.  My residency program currently doesn't have much in the way of coding/billing didactics and I'm trying to help put a rough curriculum together.  We have some ideas, but does anybody know of a good quiz or some questions to evaluate resident's knowledge of appropriate documentation and coding?  This is gen med, so really just clinic visits, inpatient management and H&Ps are the only things.  I strongly suspect most of my colleagues don't understand documentation requirement from lots of comments I've heard.

If anybody has any suggestions for approaches to teaching the subject or assessing knowledge in it I would love to hear.  Thanks!

I have no recommendations, but sounds like a great idea!  I don't think I had a single lecture on coding or billing.  I taught myself via the internet mostly.

Comment

I loved using E/M University as a reference, though I have never tried their paid service.

https://emuniversity.com/NewOfficePatients.html

They provide clinical examples for each billing code, which I found very useful.

Comment

I loved using E/M University as a reference, though I have never tried their paid service.

https://emuniversity.com/NewOfficePatients.html

They provide clinical examples for each billing code, which I found very useful.

Yes I used that as well.

I actually asked my program to teach us this but no one seemed interested..  ahh academia..

Comment

What is your specialty?

Comment

I work at the same hospital I trained at. We had the billing folks come in each year to discuss documentation and they continue to do this for the attendings as well. It's really nice and we've been able to build smart forms that make sure to capture the highest level of billing possible so it's really easy. It helps that in outpt psychiatry, there are only like 3 codes that we use.

Comment

This is internal medicine

I've looked at E/M university, it looks really straightforward and his examples feel very straightforward!  We do have coders come talk to the residents, but that's just to make sure we are optimizing DRGs for the hospital by listing all the comorbidities to increase facility fees.

Comment

Working...
              X