Do you work 5 days per week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Can you actually get out early? I would love to do something similar but if the phones are still on I can see the day getting stretched to 4-430 and losing the benefit of coming in early.

It is appealing though. Even getting out right at 5 and with a short commute I still only get a couple hours with the kids before bedtime. Most of that is dinner. Not to mention if someone is doing a sport or activity.
    Absolutely! We have one provider who starts at 830 and ends closer to normal end of day time. We have staff here through 4:30 when our phones turn off. Staff is pretty good about getting messages out throughout the day as they come in. There will be an occasional couple of items to address after I leave, but the majority aren't urgent and can be left until the end of the day.

I'm pretty efficient and don't actually bring any work home. I sometimes get bored and check my basket, but notes and inbox are cleared before I leave each day. I'm out the door by 3:30 if not earlier. Its been the most helpful as my kids have gotten involved more with sports, as it gives us more time together before that time. Definitely worth considering, in my opinion!

Comment

I am interested in backing down to 4 days at some point. I would be willing to work a little longer on the other days. We take an hour lunch which is unnecessarily long. But shortening it will piss off everyone else. I could easily start a half hour earlier.

I would rather have another afternoon off than a full day. I am thinking about pushing for this next spring this way I will have an extra afternoon to do fun things with the kids.
      I would find it frustrating to get an hour for lunch when it takes me 10-15 minutes to eat and then just sit around for 45-50 minutes during the middle of the work day when I could just eat real quick, keep seeing patients, and leave 45-50 minutes earlier at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I would find it frustrating to get an hour for lunch when it takes me 10-15 minutes to eat and then just sit around for 45-50 minutes during the middle of the work day when I could just eat real quick, keep seeing patients, and leave 45-50 minutes earlier at the end of the day.
        I do find it frustrating. The nurses and secretaries like it because they only take a 1/2 hours lunch and spend the other 1/2 hour "catching up" They are paid hourly so works for them. For me it is a waste of time. I have enjoyed my 2 mile lunch walk listening to sci fi audiobooks but there are better uses of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

You have time to eat?

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post

You have time to eat?
            It doesn't matter how busy the shift is, I ALWAYS find time to eat.

Comment

Agree I hate lunches, I'd rather be home earlier, I can crush lunch in no time.

Comment

0.8 FTE, salary prorated, same with vacation time, but fulltime benefits. Work 4 days per week, 8-11:15, 12:45-4:15. I have a 1.5 hour lunch, easily pushed to two hours if I leave a little early, but I live a mile from work and use it to go home, change out of my work clothes, eat lunch, play with the kids or go do something in the garage. Sometimes run an errand. I enjoy it. I'm still out in the afternoon by 430p.

Sometimes I wonder if it was a good idea to be so spoiled with my schedule so early in my career. But I need it and use it - mostly to have downtime and time with the kids.

I am interested in backing down to 4 days at some point. I would be willing to work a little longer on the other days. We take an hour lunch which is unnecessarily long. But shortening it will piss off everyone else. I could easily start a half hour earlier.

I would rather have another afternoon off than a full day. I am thinking about pushing for this next spring this way I will have an extra afternoon to do fun things with the kids.
                Could you just room the patients yourself for the lunch hour? Arrange for the kinds of visits that require little/no nurse input? Heck you might only need one patient to fill the gap.
                Last edited by legobikes; 09-14-2021, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Heme/Onc

I see patients 4 days/week, Mon-Thurs. I get one hour for lunch but on busier days I take less time as needed. I could NEVER work at a place where I don't have time for lunch. Friday is an admin day however most of the admin stuff I take care of during the week and I only need to come in if there are urgent consults (rare). So basically it feels like a day off for me. It's my 2nd year out of training and I feel like quality of life is significantly improved with the 4 day work week, I can take care of all the things I need to on that Friday like car maintenance, appointments, etc.

Not sure I can go back to the 5 day per week schedule. And I am increasingly seeing that many places are using this format in IM (4/4.5 days with the other 1/0.5 as a admin day or even just a day off).

Comment

Originally posted by legobikes View Post
                    0.8 FTE, salary prorated, same with vacation time, but fulltime benefits. Work 4 days per week, 8-11:15, 12:45-4:15. I have a 1.5 hour lunch, easily pushed to two hours if I leave a little early, but I live a mile from work and use it to go home, change out of my work clothes, eat lunch, play with the kids or go do something in the garage. Sometimes run an errand. I enjoy it. I'm still out in the afternoon by 430p.

Sometimes I wonder if it was a good idea to be so spoiled with my schedule so early in my career. But I need it and use it - mostly to have downtime and time with the kids.

Could you just room the patients yourself for the lunch hour? Arrange for the kinds of visits that require little/no nurse input? Heck you might only need one patient to fill the gap.
                    I could but I feel that would be a slippery slope.

Comment

Currently 4.5 days/week. Monday thru Thursday 8am-5pm and Friday 8am-12pm. The half day Fridays are a blessing, it allows us to beat traffic anytime we want to travel back to see family or only forces me to use 4 hrs of PTO if needing to take a Friday off.

2 years out of residency. FM office

Comment

I start at 6 a.m. and work at rapid pace til at least 5 p.m. Mon-Fri, average about 55 hours per week. I'm not sure I've ever worked less than 50 hours in a week (in a medical job) since med school.

However, this is by far the best schedule I've ever had because I take no call.
                        Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

I work 2 days a week from 9 to 4 pm with 1.5 hours for lunch. No call. I have young kids and have to support my husband's career, which entails a lot of travel. Someday I might go back to 3 days a week, but I'm in no rush to do it except for the money.

Comment

Working...
                          X