Do you work 5 days per week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you work 5 days per week?

Recent thread on midlevels asking for Fridays off prompted this poll.

With the pandemic there has been some societal momentum toward a 4 day work week. Whether this is 4x10 or 4x something else remains to be seen. What is clear is that this movement is expecting full time benefits.

Our medical group defines full time as 4.5 days per week, or 4 days per week plus call of ‘moderate frequency and intensity’ which is usually at least 4 times per month and requires physical presence in the hospital. This was one of the major attractions of the job to me, and I’ve been here for almost twenty years (first job out of training). Things have changed in the last 2 years due to staffing shortages in my group and my family’s needs so I no longer have every Monday off, but I still take one full day off nearly every week, and any time I make an exception I take a ‘comp’ day somewhere else that month. Once a month I work 6 days per week as part of my call. My days are rarely 8 hours, more like 9-10 with minimal lunch, but occasionally shorter, and frankly I think most docs working 5 days per week also work 9-10+ hours per day so I think I’m still working ‘less’ than a 5 day per week doc.

My goal is to drop to 3 days per week as soon as we have the staffing to do it. My the time my youngest goes to college in 7 years I plan to be at 2 days or even less. None of this is financially driven, it’s driven by values, priorities, and the reality of being… gulp… “late 40s”.

Feel free to talk about your work arrangement, its pros/cons, how your needs/wants have changed over your career. Do you want to taper your working schedule as you go through your career, how do you want that to change or not as you approach and enter retirement? What do you see your colleagues wanting, or employees (if you have your own employees)? What role do you see < 5 days per week playing in your future, your business’s, society’s?

For the poll, you can choose more than one answer. Lordosis, I expect no fewer than 3 from you.

If your work is highly variable, pick an average over the course of a month or quarter.
    I work 5 days a week (or more) and/or 40 hours a week (or more) and am considered full time
    39.36%
    I work less than 5 days a week and/or fewer than 40 hours a week but am still considered full time
    40.43%
    I work less than 5 days a week and/or fewer than 40 hours a week and am considered part time
    10.64%
    I work 12 hour shifts, so fewer than 5 days per week is full time
    5.32%
    I don’t do any paid work
    0%
    I consider myself retired
    3.19%
    obligatory Lordosis option
    5.32%
    obligatory other
    2.13%

I work 12 hour shifts, 3-5 days a week, 5 days in a row is max. I'm also 1099. I'll work 17-19 shifts a month.

Before this a year ago i was schlepping a 7 on/off schedule which was horrible. never again.

Comment

EM.

I get no vacation time but can take vacation any time I want. Mix of morning, evening, and nights although we only have to do 2-3 nights per month thanks to our nocturnists. Mix of weekdays, weekends, holidays, and non-holidays. Mix of suburban busy ED and slow freestanding ED with some in between. Anywhere from 8 to 12 hour shifts and sometimes 24 hour shifts if you want. It's great to leave clinical work at the hospital when I leave. It's fantastic to never be called when I leave. Despite this, EM is not a lifestyle specialty but it's been very good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
        EM.

I get no vacation time but can take vacation any time I want. Mix of morning, evening, and nights although we only have to do 2-3 nights per month thanks to our nocturnists. Mix of weekdays, weekends, holidays, and non-holidays. Mix of suburban busy ED and slow freestanding ED with some in between. Anywhere from 8 to 12 hour shifts and sometimes 24 hour shifts if you want. It's great to leave clinical work at the hospital when I leave. It's fantastic to never be called when I leave. Despite this, EM is not a lifestyle specialty but it's been very good to me.
        Similar for me. EM is not a lifestyle specialty but the ability to go from 5 to 2 shifts a week without much trouble so long as staffing allows is a major benefit.

Comment

Used to be 7 10's per 2 weeks. Now it's 8.

Comment

In a perfect world I could just work full time from November to March and play the rest of the year. In reality I’m just taking worthwhile PRN/1099 work when it comes along and quitting once it goes south. I haven’t worked since May. Been traveling and camping every weekend the last couple of months and it’s been a blast. I am just trying to keep my very crispy toes in the water.

Comment

I moved to part time. 7 days of call a month. Though after this week I want to stop altogether now lol.

Comment

W-2: 7-8 days a month, 8-9 hr/day. Will be at 6/mo in Jan. A couple little admin/teaching things thrown in, maybe 20 hours over the year. I used to take a month off every year, but now that seems unnecessary.

If I get reimbursed, does that count as work? Multiple side gigs: variable time, as much as I want to put into it. One bummer: As various animals have decimated my attempt at limited homesteading, I appear to have a boatload of extra free time this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post
                  As various animals have decimated my attempt at limited homesteading, I appear to have a boatload of extra free time this fall.
                  This deserves more explanation for vicarious living.

Comment

Originally posted by Shant View Post

This deserves more explanation for vicarious living.
                    Ha! I used to have a honey micro-business...now I have a stack of kindling and a daughter who tells me that the bears can't go to the store and buy honey like we can.

This morning I was watching a 5 pointer (10 pointer for whitetails) and his herd slowly destroy a neighbor's rosebushes.

I would ask how the settlers did it, but I know the answer: if they didn't harvest apples, they harvested meat!

Comment

I am retired now. I gradually decreased the number of days that I worked down to 3/wk. My goal for the last decade that I worked was to work enough to keep health insurance.

Comment

4.5 days a week. 8-5. But I go in at 7-715 because I am a morning person and I leave promptly at 5!

Comment

Originally posted by ellabond
                          I'm glad there isn't a single person who does the work for free judging by the survey
                          It's medicine. Everybody does unpaid work.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

It's medicine. Everybody does unpaid work.
                            I just spent a chunk of my weekend doing unpaid work, calling research subjects and lining them up for a new study I have int he bullpen, warmed up, and ready to fly.

Comment

13 6-8 hour scheduled shifts/month. No overnights. Rotating holiday preference. I end up working 15-16 shifts/month because one of the partners sells them to me.

I teach for free at the remote branch for the state med u here. 5-6 hours a month.

Comment

Working...
                              X