Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patient being allowed to assault female staff member…twice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by childay View Post

Don't get me started. Easier for the cops to drop them off and half the time they don't even file appropriate charges.
    It is ridiculous and dangerous. I had a patient who stabbed spouse c/o SI after stabbing spouse. Was dropped off, yes dropped off, in ED. Unfortunately no one insisted the police remain and to make matters worse 1st ED doc who assessed patient wrote up as dispo to inpatient psych. What a mess to undo and insist they come get their prisoner and hold on suicide watch until assessed by jail psychiatrist.

Comment

Admin is asking me to reconsider my resignation. I am asking to see in writing what modifications will be made to their clinic protocols, and assessing an offer of supposedly safer clinic location. The admin is pushing me to take FMLA or worker’s comp. I don’t need either, just needing them to give me changes in writing and actually show that they are making changes to prevent this from happening again.

I read online that worker’s compensation shows up on background checks during new hiring process. Are the admin just screwing with me or am I being paranoid?

Comment

You need to get out.

All this other stuff (calling the police, etc.) is fine, but the key is that you can't stay in a place like this.

Furthermore, it is very likely that the best way for change to occur (which will benefit those who can't/don't leave) is for you to leave.

I seriously doubt that they're going to come after you for the 90 days, and if they do I expect any competent attorney can make them stand down.

Comment

Originally posted by TheQuietOne View Post
          Admin is asking me to reconsider my resignation. I am asking to see in writing what modifications will be made to their clinic protocols, and assessing an offer of supposedly safer clinic location. The admin is pushing me to take FMLA or worker’s comp. I don’t need either, just needing them to give me changes in writing and actually show that they are making changes to prevent this from happening again.

I read online that worker’s compensation shows up on background checks during new hiring process. Are the admin just screwing with me or am I being paranoid?
          I wouldn’t take workers comp. Thats not the issue - you’re not injured. If anything, they could give you paid leave while they provide a safe work environment, although it seems like they’ve already had their chance.

Comment

learn the power of saying no and not discussing it.

cancel the patient's appointment.

if they ask to reschedule: "no," no further explanation.

if the patient show up and is roomed and they tell you to go see him, "no." you can go with the door open and say "Mr. Smith I do not feel safe seeing you today, i'd like you to leave the office now." if he doesn't leave immediately call the policy. if he asks for an explanation walk away.

email from boss about what you didn't see the pt? "i did not feel safe." if they follow up, don't respond.

if he comes anywhere near you in the office, pull out your phone and call the police in front of him and the rest of the staff.

you are under no obligation to exhaustively explain to anyone your actions here. millions of emails and calls go unreturned every day.

i had an attending in residency (EM) who would immediately eject any pt who was violent or threatening towards staff no matter what the complaint or VS were.

what is the first rule of EMS or mass casualty? scene safety. firefighters don't just show up to a fire and charge into the building.

Comment

They're not wanting you to stay because they care about you or your safety. They want you to stay so they won't be understaffed and have to hire.

Comment

This situation boggles my mind.

The 2 MA's that were assaulted at a minimum should both get it documented when/where exactly it happened with clinic manager/administration/HR and also would encourage them to individually to file a police report (they may not want to mess with it though). The patient needs to be fired from the office after a token investigation so it seems on the up and up, but they should not be scheduled in the meantime.

I've fired patients who have directed profanity at staff (even just once), what happened here is criminal.

Comment

Call the police and get out of there. What an absolute mess.

Comment

Neither workman's comp not FMLA applies. Based on the facts you have given, i would document in writing that you refuse to see this patient, and that you are concerned about an unsafe work environment; and if this practice continues you will, with PHI redacted, notify the DOH, OSHA, and the MA unions. This should better help them understand your resignation letter.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

Neither workman's comp not FMLA applies. Based on the facts you have given, i would document in writing that you refuse to see this patient, and that you are concerned about an unsafe work environment; and if this practice continues you will, with PHI redacted, notify the DOH, OSHA, and the MA unions. This should better help them understand your resignation letter.
                      Can you get workman's comp for PTSD for psych trauma suffered at work? Serious question. I have no idea.

Comment

I have definitely treated patients who did so.

Comment

I completely do not understand how that patient was not dismissed after episode #1. After episode #2, absolutely!! Simply awful management. And the gall of suggesting FMLA or worker’s comp to OP! document everything in writing, make a formal request in writing that the patient be dismissed from practice. I’d contact the police even if weeks later to see if there is a time limit on making a complaint (how many other local practices have put up with this or fired the guy). Honestly, even if I didn’t have FU money (which you do) I’d walk from this situation.

Comment

The Quiet One, get TH out of there. You are negotiating with people who don't deserve to be negotiated with. They have blatantly disregarded your safety (and probably workplace safety laws).

Ask yourself: what would it take for me to quit? If this patient had left a bruise, would you? followed you to your car? threatened you with violence? and now ask yourself why you are waiting for something worse to happen - because what already happened to you is unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by CrockettsRiver View Post
                              The Quiet One, get TH out of there. You are negotiating with people who don't deserve to be negotiated with. They have blatantly disregarded your safety (and probably workplace safety laws).

Ask yourself: what would it take for me to quit? If this patient had left a bruise, would you? followed you to your car? threatened you with violence? and now ask yourself why you are waiting for something worse to happen - because what already happened to you is unacceptable.
                              This, plus what CordMcNally said. Do Not take FMLA (other than you lying on a form about PTSD, which would then follow you around) since this is not a FMLA type situation. This is strictly a dangerous work environment situation. They can keep you on a paid voluntary leave while they figure out what to do, but they have already shown their hand. They will do the least amount possible to keep you there, not the right thing. And when they find someone else to hire, they will then ask you leave. All their responses so far have been inappropriate. Get out while you can.

Comment

I have been working in a new clinic for the last four months that have turned out to have low regard for provider and clinical staff concerns.

The big issue is that a patient assaulted a female MA and then was allowed to be rescheduled and assaulted another female MA. Both times the patient was scheduled with female providers because he demanded only to see female providers (and was coming in for STD concerns ::wink wink:: ).

I obviously don’t want to work for a place like this anymore, and have enough FU money that I can walk away right now. Contracts says resignation notice needs 90 days, but I was the second female provider he was scheduled with and honestly I don’t feel safe working there one bit.

What would you do?
                                Any update?

Comment

Working...
                                X