No announcement yet.

Contract Renewal Rants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don’t worry about replacing them. Patient care is clinical problem, not admin problem. They just force other doctors to cover or transfer patients short term until disruptors are replaced.

Clearly they were not good cultural fits, you see.

I expect this is true in mega-hospitals but in our tiny one I think threats to leave would be taken much more seriously as they would disrupt operations (profit) much more.  So certainly if you can get a large enough group in the hospital to band together (good luck), it might be a different story.

Comment

This is very very common and blatently unethical. Obviously done to create leverage. My own employer has done this to me and my group. We have an evergreen contract (stays in force unless modified) and there have been group meetings where administration has said "here are the changes to your contract, sign them before the meeting is over." Literally 10 minutes to read the admendments and decide whether to go along with them or not.

Comment

This is very very common and blatently unethical. Obviously done to create leverage. My own employer has done this to me and my group. We have an evergreen contract (stays in force unless modified) and there have been group meetings where administration has said “here are the changes to your contract, sign them before the meeting is over.” Literally 10 minutes to read the admendments and decide whether to go along with them or not.

Of course if you dont sign you just stay with the old contract in force until changed. This is why I wonder about the threats about pay, almost all these kinds of contracts simply stay in force or become at will until modified. Theres really no pressure at all.

Comment

I'd say form a union, but that would involve mobilizing people who care.  Seek an alternative job immediately.  That's your only leverage.  If you really like working for this employer for some odd reason I like the advice of attending the meeting with your lawyer.

Comment

Wow.  That's not a great way for administration to win friends among it's medical staff.  But to so many administrations now, it just seems physicians are just another cog in the wheel that can be replaced.

My group's contract was ending and we submitted an extension 3 months before renewal to keep things as they are for a few years.  After no response for several months, a few weeks before the end of the contract they finally made contact and said they just hadn't had time to look at it and asked for another few months to review things.  Who knows what they're actually doing.  At least they're actually moving forward with your contacts and not leaving you in limbo so you can move on if you decide to move on.

Comment

This has happened to me in the past.  Isn’t there a legal term similar to the carryover clause that can be used during these times?

I once negotiated to walk away from the job if they didn’t address something in time (admin was also not giving me adequate time to evaluate contract) and their response was that we can implement the carryover clause until we settle the item.  Basically, carryover clause was something like all terms on current contract stays the same and can be continue while renegotiation was happening.   Can this be applied to the current situation?

I have no idea if this is legally appropriate, I am not a lawyer. But, maybe worth looking into.  This might buy some time for all involved.

That is what happened at my place. Contracts were supposed to be done by July 1 however they were not done until mid October. My employer did however backdate it to Oct 1 as long as he got it back by the end of the month. Not sure of the legality of it all but that's what he did.

I think Administration is doing this at a lot of places because they can get away with it. When a pay increase is involved it benefits them to stall as long as possible.

Comment

Working...
              X