X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billy
    replied
    Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

Oh, I can…several times. There are doctors in places of power with God complexes who seem to take perceived slights very personally. Unfortunately, the bully often gets his/her way as all the other partners are reasonable people and don’t want to rock the boat. Trying to figure out a way with a financial planning client to get around a she-bully at the moment to avoid unpleasant results.
    Some unfortunate soul met/ still works for my former boss? There was a mass exodus of new people vs stockholm syndrome of older people staying dynamics in my former group. I hear the group has started to implode as eventually the reputation of the pitbull boss made hiring new people very hard, and.. old people get older and stop working. Something those who have groups run by power hungry God/napolean complex bully leaders should think about.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

Oh, I can…several times. There are doctors in places of power with God complexes who seem to take perceived slights very personally. Unfortunately, the bully often gets his/her way as all the other partners are reasonable people and don’t want to rock the boat. Trying to figure out a way with a financial planning client to get around a she-bully at the moment to avoid unpleasant results.
    Not a universal truth, but extremely possible.
    "The proverbial saying 'power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely' conveys the opinion that, as a person's power increases, their moral sense diminishes."

Not burning bridges is an art, not a science.

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied
    Originally posted by afan View Post
    Although it is generally a good idea for people looking for jobs to keep it confidential as long as they can, I cannot remember a real life case of retaliation against people who are looking around.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    This appears to be attending interviewing for potential new job while a fellow of the future potential is from the current (old for the fellow...ie residency) institution .

The fellow can potentially reach out to current residents and say...hey Dr. Brown was here interviewing....what's up with that?

That is why many interviews in the initial stages don't have on site walk through until relatively late in the process to avoid such things.

​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Shant
    replied
    Most people handle it professionally, some are more Machiavellian. Revenge for perceived abandonment is one potential issue. Sabotaging/blackballing you with potential hirers so that you aren't able to leave is another. A third is removing opportunities, giving you scutwork and financial sabotaging you in the remaining period. The person wanting to leave is probably in a better position to judge whether or not the workplace or colleague is toxic enough to need to play defense.

Leave a comment:

• 8arclay
    replied
    I did the opposite when I was finishing training, being quite open and making clear the places I was interviewing. Worked well for me as it actually improved a couple of the offers

Leave a comment:

• afan
    replied
    Although it is generally a good idea for people looking for jobs to keep it confidential as long as they can, I cannot remember a real life case of retaliation against people who are looking around. People move on all the time. People come to us from other institutions and people leave us to go elsewhere all the time

At leadership levels due diligence by the hiring institution requires talking to people at the current employer. Usually when we are down to a short list of candidates. Again, what would be the point of retaliating?

If we want the person to stay, maybe there will be a counter offer or "what will it take to make you stay" discussion. The last thing you would do when you learn someone you want is looking around would be to abuse them and hasten their departure.

If we would rather be done with them, then their taking a new job is the easiest way to accomplish that.

I have seen several low performing docs "threaten" to quit if the standards to which they were expected to adhere were not lowered even further. They seemed genuinely surprised when the response was "Resignation accepted! Best of luck in your future endeavors."

Leave a comment:

• ENT Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim View Post
    Attending interviewing at new institution.
    New one year fellow at new institution just completed residency at the current employer institution. Likely taking position at institution of residency (current employer of the attending).

Potentially harmful to the attending if the fellow spills the beans.
    Tell the fellow to keep their trap shut.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Attending interviewing at new institution.
    New one year fellow at new institution just completed residency at the current employer institution. Likely taking position at institution of residency (current employer of the attending).

Potentially harmful to the attending if the fellow spills the beans.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    I'm confused. Who is the fellow trying to keep from finding out about the interview? It sounds like the residency and fellowship institutions are different. The most likely way any of them would find out about interviewing from the other would be from the candidate themselves so if they don't want the other knowing then not telling them seems to be the easiest solution.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    started a topic Professional Etiquette- Interview Confidentially

Professional Etiquette- Interview Confidentially

Curiosity- how to maintain confidentiality?

When interviewing for a position, the recruiting institution can make every effort to provide confidentiality for targets. Not guaranteed.

New fellows start in August. It will be impossible to avoid interactions or knowledge. Of course if the fellow has an offer to return as an attending in the residency institution, one can see a “harmless” text or conversation about “guess who I saw.”

As usual, an attending is wise to not disclose until a new contract is offered and signed. Potentially damaging to current employment, especially if it doesn’t work out.

Any suggestions? The fellow is probably more loyal to the residency institution, not the fellowship institution.

Disclosure is thought to be damaging in current position. Would it be appropriate for the new institution PD or Chair to request confidentiality from the new fellow?
Working...
X