Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Employer not offering contract? "Everything is in the offer letter"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bean1970 View Post
    yes. our institution (academics) provides offer letter which outlines salary, etc. Benefits are linked to the university page (which is in the offer letter). We do not have contracts. I believed they have been gone about 10 years now.
    They also contain statements affirming compliance with policies and procedures. No non-compete. That doesn’t prevent the institution from raising a ruckus. One physician was getting decimated but won $6m in court. Unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

They also contain statements affirming compliance with policies and procedures. No non-compete. That doesn’t prevent the institution from raising a ruckus. One physician was getting decimated but won $6m in court. Unusual.
      Ours have non-compete clauses for 18 months.

Comment

Over the course of a long career, I have worked with no contract, with an offer letter, and with a contract. The reputation of the practice, the culture of the group, and their history with colleagues is way more important in my view. Just the same, it is important to have at least the basic things written down so that there is no miscommunication.

Comment

"That sounds great that your policies are so established that you don't feel the need for the contract, then you shouldn't mind putting those down in a document structuring their clarity for me."

I would talk with current docs at that practice but otherwise would say it's a red flag. not a deal breaker but a red flag.

Comment

I would get a signed contract spelling out all the benefits / insurance in specific.

It takes a considerable amount of time to go from one practice to another with insurances and malpractice. I would want to know and have in writing malpractice insurance carrier and type, specifics about loan repayment ( I would assume it would be considered taxable income and you would be responsible for the the taxes ).

If they want to pay you a couple hundred thousand dollars a year , but can't get a contract together, I would be a little hesitant.

It doesn't sound like your dream job, stay forever.

So I would have in writing a contract with a good exit plan, ie who pays for tail of the malpractice when your leave. How long can you keep your health insurance. Do you have to pay back the loan repayment?

If everything works out great , so be it. But usually what happens is some sort of disagreement in benefits, compensation , hours worked or call. Then you get , well that is part of the job, or we never agreed upon it, and you are stuck with a low level boss with a bad attitude while you are trying to sell your house and move.

Comment

Not having a contract+PE firm=red flag in my mind. They are in it for the money, not the mission, don't forget that.

Loan forgiveness as part of a contract offer is a red flag because that amount of money isn't yours until your time period is up. Want to leave? Gotta pay it back with interest. Far preferable to get the amount of loan forgiveness put into your regular paycheck and you put the extra money towards your loans.

My initial contract ran 35 pages. Scope of practice, salary, benefits, malpractice, termination for/without cause, notice required, signing bonus repayment, locums work, etc etc. "It's all in the offer letter" leaves an awful lot unsaid.

Comment

I dunno, in my limited experience, contracts get pages added to protect the institution not the employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Shant View Post
                  I dunno, in my limited experience, contracts get pages added to protect the institution not the employee.
                  i think that's right.

have asked for changes to a contract at one place and was just told it was non-negotiable.

full disclosure i have worked a job where all i had was an offer letter and it was fine.

i don't think it's anywhere near as simple as offer letter = you are going to get screwed and contract = not that.

if you are joining a PE-backed group, don't you think any contract they give you is going to ruthlessly protect their investment?

Comment

Working...
                  X