Office manager quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office manager quit

I’ve written on here about how my office is dysfunctional but I just found it’s worse than I thought.
    employed primary care for a big national health system (that posted 88 million profit last quarter..it was in the news)
    Today office manager put in her notice she’s leaving.
    she was actually quite good at holding things together.
    apparently she was regularly expected to pay for maintenance issues from her own pocket for the clinics she manages, ... she had to pay for plumbers, electricians, transporting large office equipment, business cards, lightbulbs etc and then submit receipts to get back back but that took atleast 1 mth to get that money back.

How could a large company making huge profits expect an office manager to charge her credit card everytime something needs fixing??!?!

Was that her actual reason for quitting? I know it’s annoying to get reimbursed, but if the company was reliable at making her whole, that would be tolerable for most people. On the other hand, if they refused to pay her back, I’m surprised she lasted very long.

I’m not sure how she explained it to you, but when I was employed I had the option of using a credit card provided by the health system for CME, etc but I chose to use my own just to get the reward points, and then submitted the receipts.
    “Work” is a four letter word for good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
      Was that her actual reason for quitting? I know it’s annoying to get reimbursed, but if the company was reliable at making her whole, that would be tolerable for most people. On the other hand, if they refused to pay her back, I’m surprised she lasted very long.

I’m not sure how she explained it to you, but when I was employed I had the option of using a credit card provided by the health system for CME, etc but I chose to use my own just to get the reward points, and then submitted the receipts.
      Getting reimbursed for CME is not equivalent to a mid level salaried worker paying for expensive business property repairs and waiting a month for reimbursement. That sounds like a huge red flag for poor management for a mega Corp.

Comment

We actually provide work credit cards for purchases like this. They can only be used for work and must be reconciled monthly, but it relieves the financial burden on the admin assistants and lower level managers.

Comment

Whatever the reason is, she wants out and nothing is going to stop that.

Comment

Most people can’t come up with $500 for an emergency. An employee having to float several hundred dollars for a plumber or whatever is beyond unreasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post

Getting reimbursed for CME is not equivalent to a mid level salaried worker paying for expensive business property repairs and waiting a month for reimbursement. That sounds like a huge red flag for poor management for a mega Corp.
              yeah i completely agree.

i think reimbursement for CME is pretty standard.

this is a totally different situation.

although i suppose that in the hands of the right person s/he could crush some credit card points.

Comment

Getting reimbursed for CME is not equivalent to a mid level salaried worker paying for expensive business property repairs and waiting a month for reimbursement. That sounds like a huge red flag for poor management for ab mega Corp.
                Reimbursement of personal business related expenses is one thing. Operating expenses is a completely different issue. Any company large or small, private of public needs to provide working capital to run the business. Go buy lunch for a meeting? The only way you put it on individual credit card is convenience. T&E accounting for advances is problematic, it is ripe for fraud or unintentional abuse.

Signature authority and authorization authority require a process that comes back to management. PS, don't blame the poor understaffed employee expense report folks, they hate it too. Access to systems that allow the plumber to be hired and paid is the problem. Many solutions available. Just gets complicated to put a system in place.

I doubt a BoD will be concerned with a practice manager leaving.

Comment

My point was that I had the choice to use the work credit card but chose not to. My former employer provided the credit card as a convenience. Sometimes people who are out the door aren’t representing the situation completely accurately.
                  “Work” is a four letter word for good reason.

Comment

That is a ridiculous policy for a large corporation , I am surprised she lasted that long. Losing a good employee due to a bad policy is frustrating and out of your control. She should be able to approve purchases to a certain dollar amount with out any direct over site. If you can trust her to manage thousands of health care dollars on a daily basis , but not enough trust to manage a business credit card and approve a $500 purchase something is wrong.

Comment

My point was that I had the choice to use the work credit card but chose not to. My former employer provided the credit card as a convenience. Sometimes people who are out the door aren’t representing the situation completely accurately.
                      Nice to be you, but many companies do not provided company credit cards. Not too mention you are assuming facts not in evidence. I have personally seen companies use their employees and contractors as their credit float.
                      • In one case, I was a founder of a startup, but that didn't matter. The company was notorious for taking their sweet time (months) to pay employee business expenses. Finally, they wanted me to front about $3000 in travel expenses and I flat out said NO.
                      • My last IC gig was with a Fortune 500 company. Even though the contract explicitly stated 30 days net, they had a policy of not paying for 45 - 60 days after the invoice was approved, not submitted. Well, when the quarter's gross profit was looking < $2B, each approval level would start inserting delays. I finally terminated the contract early one quarter when it reached > 120 days.
                      • There were other occasions in my 40+ year career where companies involuntarily forced employees/contractors to be their line of credit.
                      So I for one assume a strong likelihood that the office manager is saying it exactly as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritrider View Post
                        Nice to be you, but many companies do not provided company credit cards. Not too mention you are assuming facts not in evidence. I have personally seen companies use their employees and contractors as their credit float.
                        • In one case, I was a founder of a startup, but that didn't matter. The company was notorious for taking their sweet time (months) to pay employee business expenses. Finally, they wanted me to front about $3000 in travel expenses and I flat out said NO.
                        • My last IC gig was with a Fortune 500 company. Even though the contract explicitly stated 30 days net, they had a policy of not paying for 45 - 60 days after the invoice was approved, not submitted. Well, when the quarter's gross profit was looking < $2B, each approval level would start inserting delays. I finally terminated the contract early one quarter when it reached > 120 days.
                        • There were other occasions in my 40+ year career where companies involuntarily forced employees/contractors to be their line of credit.
                        So I for one assume a strong likelihood that the office manager is saying it exactly as it is.
                        The above are Rules of Thumb in a Fortune 500, rather than exceptions. The terms and conditions of a PO and/or a contract rarely are even considered. It is cash flow and aging and an "exception basis" for getting a check cut before 45 days.

Just the flip side, what do you do with employees that are lax on expense reporting, FOR SEVEN MONTHs? It is called a payroll deduction from their paycheck! Got to turn in the paperwork for the company credit card purchase. It goes south really fast. There is more than one side of the story. You will never "please" everyone. Y'all will hate me. Put in airline travel not allowed on personal credit cards. Got to run it through the in house travel agency so the company gets the rewards. Those travel miles are valuable for company paid travel. Cash advance supported with approval. Charged back is not turned in by 45 days as well as charges on the company card. Pissed a ton of people off, but only for not doing their part and a desire to gain personal benefit.

Comment

although i suppose that in the hands of the right person s/he could crush some credit card points.
                          That was my first thought when I read that. Or at least my second one.

I wish as an employee I could put all my practice expenses on my card and get reimbursed. I would never fly coach again.

Obviously it's not the same for a typical office manager. But if it were me, not only would it not be a problem, it would actually be a perk.

Comment

Wow that is a terrible way to treat an employee. And I'm guessing the process of getting reimbursed wasn't easy. I get what people are saying about credit card points but it takes me back to residency and getting reimbursed for conferences. They would look for any excuse to disqualify an expense. They tried to say getting a meal too late didn't count because it wasn't a "meal time" or disqualify if they felt you ordered too much food at one meal (there was also a daily meal expense limit which wasn't all that generous).

I'm guessing a bad employer wouldn't hesitate to tell the employee she shouldn't have paid that much or didn't have the right approval for the work or some other reason to not pay. It doesn't take too much of that to destroy any benefit you might get from points (beyond the fact that many employees don't have the capital to do this easily).

From your other posts probably not the only reason she left but probably didn't help.

Comment

Working...
                            X