Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequency of Contract Negotiations

I am currently an employed physician.

The group where I work has renewable 1 year contracts every year.

The first 1 - 2 years are typically a salaried contract and every year after that is productivity-based.

I feel I am well paid and am well in the 90+ %ile for any salary surveys (The argument as always is that I feel I deserve that increased pay because I am so productive. Admin feels that I should be thankful for what I get because their infrastructure has allowed me to become and stay so busy so quickly)

How often should one be negotiating these annual contracts? Should I be asking for a pay raise annually even though I feel I am already fairly compensated?

Is it actually renewable/negotiable or does it just become at will? Seems crazy to have to sit down and negotiate things every year. Certainly do not put forth that you feel so adequately compensated, it will be used against you!

Comment

Is it actually renewable/negotiable or does it just become at will? Seems crazy to have to sit down and negotiate things every year. Certainly do not put forth that you feel so adequately compensated, it will be used against you!

I'm not quite sure. In speaking with my colleagues, it sounds like there are those who just auto-renew their contract annually. There are others who will sit down and claw for something new every year (which does seem incredibly tedious)

I will certainly keep my thoughts about compensation private but I was curious how others handle their contract negotiations?

My plan was to just simply renew unless a large change in collections (either + or -) prompts me to re-evaluate the contract. It seems like it would be healthier for both sides to not haggle over numbers every year?

Comment

If you feel your productivity is being fairly rewarded than yes. When that changes, make it known. I dont really wait for any time frame in particular since its basically month to month upon renewal in an at will state, so if something comes up I just say so.

Comment

My plan was to just simply renew unless a large change in collections (either + or -) prompts me to re-evaluate the contract. It seems like it would be healthier for both sides to not haggle over numbers every year?

Are both sides happy with the status quo? Is it worth the hassle factor? Are you incentivized to produce for the business?

Comment

Thanks for everyone's advice

I think we are both happy with the status quo and I'm of the feeling that it's too much of a hassle to renegotiate annually (although my husband feels we are letting admin off too easy by doing this)

We are incentivized to continue being productive with reasonable bonus structures

Comment

Thanks for everyone’s advice

I think we are both happy with the status quo and I’m of the feeling that it’s too much of a hassle to renegotiate annually (although my husband feels we are letting admin off too easy by doing this)

We are incentivized to continue being productive with reasonable bonus structures

Just remember that they are doing you no favors by you being "so busy". Thats total bs. Without you there that money would be going elsewhere with no one to bill for it. Whatever you're making, theyre making much more, and any of this "be thankful" business would make me a bit saucy. They should be thankful and not condescending as well.

I'd think about things you may want specifically tailored to you, see if its doable, or simply ask for a small COLA, etc...style raise, just see what happens. You can cave if you want, but worth a shot if there is something you wouldnt mind asking for.

Comment

If colleagues that you work with are asking for more each year and receiving more each year, it would seem like you should be too.

If the "hassle" is rewarded with extra compensation, then it's absolutely worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                X