No announcement yet.

Surgeon with summers off or part-time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once met a cardiothoracic surgeon on a ski lift. He job-shared with a friend-colleague who liked to golf. They each predominantly worked six months of the year, with some interdigitation in the spring and fall.

Comment

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post
      I once met a cardiothoracic surgeon on a ski lift. He job-shared with a friend-colleague who liked to golf. They each predominantly worked six months of the year, with some interdigitation in the spring and fall.
      Wow, what a cool situation to luck upon. One likes winter sports, and the other likes summer sports. That’s awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Nysoz View Post

It’sp possible but probably not the practice a surgeon can easily get. Part time for a surgeon essentially is locums.

I’ve heard of job share, or 2 surgeons splitting the responsibility of 1, but even more rare in practice.
        His older about to retire partners give up some of their PM calls and weekends (and they have bigger buy downs anyways). So maybe that’s an option at some point. For now, he likes the research aspect and not traveling and missing kid time. But who knows by time we get to FI he may be burnt out and ready to do part time locums or stop clinical all together. Hard to predict the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mamaham View Post

His older about to retire partners give up some of their PM calls and weekends (and they have bigger buy downs anyways). So maybe that’s an option at some point. For now, he likes the research aspect and not traveling and missing kid time. But who knows by time we get to FI he may be burnt out and ready to do part time locums or stop clinical all together. Hard to predict the future.
          Not mentioned, the time available/needed/desired for family activities drastically changes too. The ability to “change back” to increase the workload needs to be considered. Your desires likely will change in the future. Easy to predict that kids develop independence. Might be easy, might not.

Comment

Originally posted by endo4jc View Post
            Ortho trauma here. My two partners and I split the month of call however we want. So usually 10-11 days in whatever block configuration I choose (I make the schedule). Level 2 call. Independent contractor. Essentially no elective practice. Salaried. One day of clinic every three weeks.

I am making hay while the sun is shining. Love the time at home with my spouse, 19 month old daughter. Second daughter due in June. Plenty of time to travel.... but COVID and toddlers have delayed that.
            Just curious-- is this a unicorn job? What is the average private practice/employed ortho trauma job like? I'm starting Ortho residency in July. Love ortho trauma, but my mentors have tried to sway me away from trauma due to lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by goneriding View Post

Just curious-- is this a unicorn job? What is the average private practice/employed ortho trauma job like? I'm starting Ortho residency in July. Love ortho trauma, but my mentors have tried to sway me away from trauma due to lifestyle.
              goneriding, if your mentors are Ortho Trauma and have been doing it for over 15 years, the opportunities are different than when they came out of residency. If your mentors are not Ortho Trauma, then respectfully take their feedback with a grain of salt because they are not really in the trauma loop. Alot of the ortho trauma here in suburban Florida is as endo4jc described. And, things may still change over the next 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by goneriding View Post

It’s my first job out of training so don’t have anything to compare to except the academic jobs from my residency and fellowship. The trauma lifestyle is not what it once was as more studies support that most open fractures can go the following day, etc. Having an ortho trauma room available each day is a requirement to make the lifestyle work. My friends on the elective ortho side work a lot harder than me (more hours, more cases, etc). They will very likely make much more than me. I’m the sole income earner for my family, and we very easily live on my salary.

Comment

Working...
                X