Low cost e-prescribing program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low cost e-prescribing program

Well, as some of you might know, I am a soloist who has cut back significantly on my practice but do it to keep my skills and my mind sharp. I had tried a couple of EMRs in the past but found them either cumbersome, non reliable, expensive as a server based and not quite reliable as web based, and the decent ones were very expensive for a single person operation. So I use paper charts and MS Word and accept some penalty.

The problem is that my state has from Jan 2021 mandated e-prescribing for controlled substances. My prescriptions are not a lot and most are called in by my nurse. I used a secure paper prescription for the two or three controlled substances I write each month. Now I cannot do that and unfortunately I may need the ability to prescribe those three or four prescriptions since I cannot ask the PCP or others to do that..

So which program is the lowest cost reliable one that people here have used for e-prescription. I suspect the majority here would be using some sort of EMR in PP or EPIC if hospital employed. But maybe one or two like me exist in this world. What do they use. I don't need bells and whistles like app and integration into an EMR or billing program. Even a desktop website based option will do
    Last edited by Kamban; 03-02-2021, 01:35 PM.

Good question.

Frist question back to you - do you also have to check the local PDMP (controlled substance history) each time? Many times that's a separate feature/app/cost. This is mandated at the state level. I can look it up, if you need. Or this is a vendor cheat sheet website I keep bookmarked. https://www.practicefusion.com/epcs/

Second, do you have to check the MedHistory (non controlled substance) of the patient. This sometimes state mandated.

Details:
    This is master list of any/everyone who is certified (which is required) to do ePrescribing.
    https://surescripts.com/network-alli...iber-software/

These folks are a good company to work with:
    https://drfirst.com/products/eprescribing-software/
    I might be able to give an introduction.

I don't know of any solutions that are per RX... https://mdtoolbox.com/Pricing.aspx isn't horrible expensive.

https://veradigm.com/eprescribe/ 's Deluxe is in the same monthly range.

Or can you become an adjunct faculty at some academic place?

Comment

Thanks

I can check the PDMP though my state's controlled substance agency website once in a while to make sure that thee is no fraud. Most of PCP friends only do it occasionally. It is not a requirement before prescribing.

No need to check on Medi-history before prescribing.

The mdtoolbox is the least expensive and I may have to pay $38/month for those 3 prescriptions. Those are expensive but unavoidable and I may have no options but to suck it up and get one.

It looks like drfirst is a full fledged program that I suspect will be more expensive.

Any advantage to adjunct faculty position. I used to hold two in the past but gave it up since I did not see any benefit to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
        SoI use paper charts and MS Word and accept some penalty.
        I'm actually the same as you in this regard.

I feel like I read that someince states which mandated this offered a free portal. Did you check with your state board?

If they don't, you should kindly point out to them that since someone mandated this, they should be required to provide a free option. To do so is an undue burden & expense. Not that it will get you anywhere, but someone should know it isn't right.

Long shot: any neighboring states which don't have that requirement & cheap licensing? I wonder if your state's pharmacies can reject a paper controlled substance prescription from out of state.
        $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

This kind of thing really irritated me also. One of my friends got around this somehow by having the expense covered by the lab where he sent all his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
            This kind of thing really irritated me also. One of my friends got around this somehow by having the expense covered by the lab where he sent all his stuff.
            Agree it is annoying. However, that sounds like it could an illegal kickback no?

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
              The small labs used to give freebies in the past but many have been gobbled by national giants who will not even give you a penny for free nowadays. Years ago one even offered a free EMR subscription if I promised to send all my labs to them in return. I declined.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubicle View Post

I'm actually the same as you in this regard.

I feel like I read that someince states which mandated this offered a free portal. Did you check with your state board?

If they don't, you should kindly point out to them that since someone mandated this, they should be required to provide a free option. To do so is an undue burden & expense. Not that it will get you anywhere, but someone should know it isn't right.

Long shot: any neighboring states which don't have that requirement & cheap licensing? I wonder if your state's pharmacies can reject a paper controlled substance prescription from out of state.
                No free portal for me. I can contact them but doubt that they would care about it.

Getting a DEA license added on to a neighboring state would be a pain. Sadly our state will not accept any paper prescriptions for controlled substances, written in state or out of state.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
                  Thanks

I can check the PDMP though my state's controlled substance agency website once in a while to make sure that thee is no fraud. Most of PCP friends only do it occasionally. It is not a requirement before prescribing.

No need to check on Medi-history before prescribing.

The mdtoolbox is the least expensive and I may have to pay $38/month for those 3 prescriptions. Those are expensive but unavoidable and I may have no options but to suck it up and get one.

It looks like drfirst is a full fledged program that I suspect will be more expensive.

Any advantage to adjunct faculty position. I used to hold two in the past but gave it up since I did not see any benefit to it.
                  I have a small private practice on the side and my EMR uses drfirst which is billed as a separate fee of $33 per month.

Comment

If I remember correctly, Allscripts ePrescribe is something like $9/month. Pretty cheap. I think they changed the name to Veradigm.

Comment

Working...
                    X