No announcement yet.

Private Practice Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long commute outside of large metro area is usually predictable.

Commute into large metro area is unpredictable with frequent accidents.

Agree 45-60 min traffic-free commute not bad and good podcast time. Same drive into the city

Comment

Obviously you've got to make your own choice but for me it's easy. The total $ at option 2 is just $25K below the low end of option 1 at much less cost of commuting. I'm biased against commuting so take that into consideration. The more important aspect for me is the practice culture of the 2 options and that's something only you can decide as it's more of a feel in your gut from your interviews and checking out of the practices. When I interviewed for my job out of fellowship I went with the option that paid half of the other in the same town because the culture was a better fit for me. One practice wanted a partner and the other wanted an employee. Good luck on your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post
        At what point will you be able to move?
        I don't think I would ever move there, it just doesn't make sense (wife's job, family, community involvement, lots of other things). I think it would be an indefinite commute.

Comment

Originally posted by dennis View Post
          Obviously you've got to make your own choice but for me it's easy. The total $ at option 2 is just $25K below the low end of option 1 at much less cost of commuting. I'm biased against commuting so take that into consideration. The more important aspect for me is the practice culture of the 2 options and that's something only you can decide as it's more of a feel in your gut from your interviews and checking out of the practices. When I interviewed for my job out of fellowship I went with the option that paid half of the other in the same town because the culture was a better fit for me. One practice wanted a partner and the other wanted an employee. Good luck on your choice.
          I'm kind of with you on that. Even a 6 hour clinical work day is so much better to leave at 745 and be home by 3. Allows me to help with kids in the morning, and drop off/pick up from school. Option 1 is leaving at 630 and probably not being home until 5 or 530. Much longer days when you throw drive time in. Culture is great at both places, both are very highly regarded in respective communities.

Comment

Not a physician, but I would probably pick #2. You'll still be earning ~$425k/yr not including benefits once you reach partner, and the marginal utility of earning $450-650k while factoring in longer commute, no benefits, fewer overall hours per week etc. The additional max ~$200k/yr will likely not be worth it in my opinion. Of course you might not mind a long commute but in general, long commutes are correlated with greatly diminished wellbeing/job satisfaction. Overall, #2 seems like a more sustainable option.

Comment

Option 1 would be a non-starter for me unless we had a plan to move their soon. It basically means spending all of your leisure time during the week in the car alone. It's not much of a life. If the money is really important to you you could figure out another way to monetize that hour+ of extra time with a side gig; I would spend it on non-work activities.

Comment

It sounds like option 2 offers more flexibility and freedom, ie no non-compete, lots of paid time off, ability for side hustle, more time due to less commute...all with great compensation.

I'm sure there is way more to consider. For me, I would take flexibility and freedom, especially if the $ is still good. Our household could be earning more, but that also means longer hours. We're at a happy place right now in our work/life balance with our family and things we enjoy. The hard thing is trying to find that intersection...and it may change at some point down the road.

Being content can have a negative connotation but to me, it's one, if not, the ultimate goal in life.

Comment

My experience with a 55 min commute: I mostly loved it. Beautiful scenery along a river. I looked forward to the audible CME and podcasts. Traffic was fast and light. With bad weather I stayed overnight in a budget hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by jz- View Post
                    My experience with a 55 min commute: I mostly loved it. Beautiful scenery along a river. I looked forward to the audible CME and podcasts. Traffic was fast and light. With bad weather I stayed overnight in a budget hotel.
                    I agree that it is pretty awesome for a while. My concern is a year from now when the beautiful drive gets to be more of an annoyance, especially when more people are going back to the office and traffic becomes more of an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozarka View Post
                      It sounds like option 2 offers more flexibility and freedom, ie no non-compete, lots of paid time off, ability for side hustle, more time due to less commute...all with great compensation.

I'm sure there is way more to consider. For me, I would take flexibility and freedom, especially if the $ is still good. Our household could be earning more, but that also means longer hours. We're at a happy place right now in our work/life balance with our family and things we enjoy. The hard thing is trying to find that intersection...and it may change at some point down the road.

Being content can have a negative connotation but to me, it's one, if not, the ultimate goal in life.
                      I'm with you on that. At a certain point the money is relatively equal (not a gigantic difference between 375k and 500k), taxes tend to level things out a bit. Happiness and flexibility goes a long way.

Comment

I vote the one with the significantly less commute

Comment

Working...
                        X