Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endodontist associate vs. partner salary insight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endodontist associate vs. partner salary insight?

Can anyone offer any insight on Endodontist associate salaries vs. partner/owner salaries? I'm a current associate and looking to become 50/50 partner within the next 2 years. I know this can greatly vary by region, etc. but looking for some ballparks of what to expect. Thanks.

Depends in part how much of your pay is based on net production and how well you negotiate.

Endo is perhaps the lowest overhead specialty in dentistry. Case acceptance is pretty easy, especially with a hot tooth. Perhaps you have a patient who would rather have the tooth extracted, but you never see that patient since the general dentist at some giant corporate chain already extracted the tooth and didn't send you the referral.

Speaking of which, your ability to reach out to general dentists (and periodontists), communicate well with the referring offices, and generally be easy to work with will play a huge role in how many cases you get. Most patients don't know what an endodontist is, much less that they need one, unless they've had a root canal before.

Compensation is very location specific. However, I'd ballpark associate salary at $180-250K at a giant evil dental chain, a bit more as an associate at a smaller independent practice, and $400-500K+ as a practice owner. (Potentially quite a bit higher as a partner.) Your region, productivity, and negotiating skills will vary. Check Dental Economics, dentaltown.com, or wait for a couple of the dentists and endodontists on the forum to chime in.

Comment

The ADA report says that private practice endodontists earn an average of $354k (median $300k).

Comment

Bump for the tooth guys and gals.
        Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Depends on overhead. You should be pocketing more money as a partner even after debt service. Most associates are paid something like 42-45% collection. Most endo practices run overhead between 30 and 50%. How much money that works out to be depends on how much you collect. Ask your future partner about practice overhead.
          Last edited by Molar Mechanic; 01-04-2021, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Molar Mechanic View Post
            Depends on overhead. You should be pocketing more money as a partner even after debt service. Most associates are paid something like 42-45% collection. Most endo practices run overhead between 30 and 50%. How much money that works out to be depends on how much you collect. Ask your future partner about practice overhead.
            I'm in a different dental specialty but this is essentially how I approached it. As an associate I was given 35% of my collections. Overhead averages 15%. So to buy in as a partner, I was buying that extra 15% because then I had to pay overhead. So you have to do the math of at what point are your collections high enough that the bank loan monthly payments are less than that 15%. That's when it made sense for me. You have to know the buy in price for this.

Comment

Working...
            X