When to do a Job Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to do a Job Search

We talk a lot about saving the money you make and how to grow wealth, but what about looking for the actual job that empowers this?  When do residents typically start looking for jobs?  Does it differ considerably for attendings?  Military?  Curious how far out you all did your job searches.  Not so much talking about quick fills or locums - more of the deliberate job search.  Any specific guidance you'd give to someone looking or things you would do differently?  Do it all yourself and make contacts or did you go through an agency?  Curious on a personal level and think this might be helpful for the younger folks especially.

ENT, great question. As someone who went through this I would say network early and often. Let me expand that and say that this applies in every wake of life: those that network we'll get ahead real fast. If you look good then more power

Go out there and network! So many benefits that it's hard to type via tiny phone keyboard.

Local groups - start early residency. By senior year start throwing resume and tap networks for jobs.

Comment

I started 1 - 2 years before graduation. If you are doing this as an attending, I would be sure to do this discretely.

I did use a headhunter agency and ended up getting a great job out of it but I would not recommend it if I had to do it all over again. Like a realtor, they pressure you to sign any contract, not necessarily the best contract for you.

Agree with CN that you want to network early and often as the best jobs are often attained through word of mouth. Most of the jobs advertised on our specialty job board are highly malignant.

Comment

Agree with the advice to start networking early. I highly recommend doing this during any conferences attended. I started talking to the department I will be joining once I complete fellowship in June at a fall conference in 2015, and then we met up again at another conference a year ago. You should be on at all times when going to conferences, even when outside the conference. Medicine is a very small field and you never know who you will run into. It is not the time to go out drinking.

Comment

I'd actually start calling and sending CVs to groups around 9-12 months before graduation. This will also be very specific to each specialty. If you're in a very in demand field, people will find you. For myself, path is a tight job market. I got a personal call from the group I joined after I had rotated with them for a month. Word of mouth/networking the most important so be nice to your attendings. If you have a specific location in mind, you can always just cold call or email a group in advance. If one of your attendings has connections with a specific group or location, talk to them too. They should be your best ally.

Comment

Every time you meet someone new, you're interviewing for a job.

Comment

I started seriously looking (answering ads, cold calling, sending resumes etc) 12 months before the end of fellowship. Starting this early creates leverage of sorts; I knew that I could pass on crappy offers because I had time to find a better offer and still complete licensing/credentialing in time to start soon after finishing.

I very strongly recommend to prospective job seekers not just to rely on job classifieds for leads. Some desirable jobs will be advertised, but many advertised jobs are difficult to fill for a reason, and many practices may not have pulled the trigger on headhunting for a new associate but are receptive to having someone join.

Comment

+1 for networking. Also start looking 1-2 years ahead of time. I would also suggest talking with the device/drug reps because they are in and out of hospitals/OR's/clinics on a daily basis and will often know about potential openings ahead of time through word of mouth.

Comment

Working...
                X