Would you do extra easy call for money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    Could be wrong, don't you have a daughter in college?
    nope

Comment

I’m a big fan of making hay while the sun shines, especially if it involves easy work or work that you’re already doing.

Comment

Originally posted by hw View Post
        Hypothetically speaking, if the chance of having to come into the hospital after hours while one call is 1 in 30 to 1 in 20, would you take additional call?
        I am already Q3 phone-only call and wouldn't want more. But I don't get paid for it specifically. The real question is how often you would have to go in. Can you look back and figure that out? Answering the phone at 3AM isn't fun but obviously going in to operate is much more of a burden.

Comment

OP here. I don't really get called much at all for my own established patients either. I think I will do some extra calls for money. If it gets too busy, I can always cut back to 10 calls per month as per my contract.

Comment

It is so interesting to hear that many of you would feel stressed out about having to answer the phone, even if you almost never have to go in.

Over the years I have taken on responsibilities to run many things, and even these days, in some sense I am always on call. In more recent years I have a layer of people on first call and I only get a call for the most challenging of circumstances. Just the same, to me it is fun. I enjoy being needed, making a contribution, being responsible, sort of earning my oxygen on this earth. I guess that is one of the reasons that I am where I am today.

My son graduated from college a few months back. He is working his butt off. He is always on call, but as a result he is rapidly leveraging up his income in an impressive way. He is a problem solver, a go to guy, plus he feels appreciated and respected because he can make a difference in so many ways. He is on the fast track to a very high level of success, and it appears he is loving it. His girlfriend, however, doesn't like the fact that he will take a business call to solve a problem at 8 pm. We each have to make our choices based on what is important to us.

Comment

Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post
              It is so interesting to hear that many of you would feel stressed out about having to answer the phone, even if you almost never have to go in.

Over the years I have taken on responsibilities to run many things, and even these days, in some sense I am always on call. In more recent years I have a layer of people on first call and I only get a call for the most challenging of circumstances. Just the same, to me it is fun. I enjoy being needed, making a contribution, being responsible, sort of earning my oxygen on this earth. I guess that is one of the reasons that I am where I am today.

My son graduated from college a few months back. He is working his butt off. He is always on call, but as a result he is rapidly leveraging up his income in an impressive way. He is a problem solver, a go to guy, plus he feels appreciated and respected because he can make a difference in so many ways. He is on the fast track to a very high level of success, and it appears he is loving it. His girlfriend, however, doesn't like the fact that he will take a business call to solve a problem at 8 pm. We each have to make our choices based on what is important to us.

I don't get stressed out for answering a phone call except when I am soundly asleep at 2am. Fortunately 2am phone call is extremely rare.
              Last edited by hw; 10-11-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hw View Post
                I am an employed subspecialty surgeon at a small community hospital. I am the only surgeon in my speciality. I am obligated by contract to do 10 ER calls a month at a rate of $600/day. The hospital CMO encourages me to take additional calls at the same rate. His reasoning was that I would likely get called anyways even I am not listed as on call, so I might as well get paid for it. My calls has been very light. In fact, I didn't get any calls from ER last week. The chance of actually having to get up at the middle of night and come to see a patient in the hospital is quite small.

I am a little conflicted about taking on additional calls. I guess I can take on additional weekday calls. I am a non-drinker so taking calls does not really impact too much on my lifestyle.

What would you do?
                I am in a similar position and take up to 5 extra shifts a month.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                  I’m a big fan of making hay while the sun shines, especially if it involves easy work or work that you’re already doing.
                  Yup, ditto.

I have a similar type of easy and fun call shift that offers very high hourly pay, that I take advantage of every other week. It's a no brainer.

Comment

All call is not created equally. My IR call during residency virtually guaranteed 18 hour days on the weekend. I almost chose a subspecialty in which I'd be on call q2-3 and have a very high likelihood of getting called in. After having a kid, my priorities changed and i value my sleep and time at home much more.

Getting called in also seemed like a lot of hurry up and wait. We are supposed to be there in 30 minutes, but it always takes longer than that for a patient to travel from the ICU to IR. It's amazing how long a lot of emergencies could actually wait.

Does anyone else get the "courtesy call" at 2am to let you there is an add on for you in the morning? Or is that just my institution...

Comment

One thing that also matters is if you are able to make additional money off your collections or RVUs. My job is ten 24 hour calls per month. I am salaried. For each additional day, I get call pay that is 25% of what I am paid for the first ten days. I don’t get to keep anything from my billings. So if I don’t have any case then it is easy money, but I do multiple cases then it’s not really worth the extra money. I value the time at home with my spouse and toddler more.

Comment

Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post

What's stressful about answering phone calls is the unknown of "is this a simple answer the question and hang up" or will it be "I have to go in and see the pt and disrupt what I am doing".

I actually never mind if it is a doc calling to consult me. It's the pt calls that annoy me. 90% of these are definitely NOT urgent....... "my eye burns and has been doing this for five days now".........and they seem to think we are just waiting around happy to answer any question they can dream up.

Comment

Depends on the hospital in my experience. Some places call is cake and some it is sheer torture but it sounds like OP is doing it anyway and doesn't drink. I would also say go for it.

Comment

Just don't get greedy and take call and get caught out of town or something similar. It seems like it would be easy to justify chancing it but that could land you in hot water.

Comment

Agree with what has been said, especially the part about "it depends how well you sleep at night..." I'm in the same boat as the only hand surgeon at my hospital. I can choose to take as much call as I want, and any nights I'm off are "uncovered" but since the ER knows me so well, they typically call me anyway. The conversation typically starts something like this, "Dr. EastBayHand, the Hand Call doesn't list anyone on call tonight, so I just figured I would call you..." :-)

A few comments:
                              1) My hospital CMO has agreed that if I am NOT listed on call for a day (ie: decided I wanted the night off or out of town), but I STILL GET CALLED by the ER... I can subsequently bill for that day as being "on call." This is somewhat of a happy compromise.

2) I totally agree with starting with a lot of call and cutting back as needed.

3) In a very RARE circumstance if you are listed on call but take a last-minute trip, can you remove yourself from the call schedule the same-day? This only works for a call schedule that permits "vacant" days that are uncovered (sounds like yours does). This alleviates the stress of a last-minute trip or celebration (with alcohol).

4) The "sleep at night" situation will likely change with time. I used to be very on-edge any time I was on call. But, as has been noted above, much of the stress of call is the "unknown" about whether you have to go in or whether it can wait until morning. With time and experience, the phone calls become much less stressful and you may find it's easier to take more call nights without affecting your life.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post
                                All call is not created equally. My IR call during residency virtually guaranteed 18 hour days on the weekend. I almost chose a subspecialty in which I'd be on call q2-3 and have a very high likelihood of getting called in. After having a kid, my priorities changed and i value my sleep and time at home much more.

Getting called in also seemed like a lot of hurry up and wait. We are supposed to be there in 30 minutes, but it always takes longer than that for a patient to travel from the ICU to IR. It's amazing how long a lot of emergencies could actually wait.

Does anyone else get the "courtesy call" at 2am to let you there is an add on for you in the morning? Or is that just my institution...
                                I had these courtesy calls when I was training and when I was a young attending at an academic center. Haven't got any such calls in community hospitals.

Comment

Working...
                                X