Practice Citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice Citizenship

Do any of the large practices out there value citizenship of the physician shareholders?  Are there any penalties levied for those who don't attend meetings, etc?Or conversely is there more compensation in time or money for those who choose to be active in growing/building the practice?

This is a very interesting topic for group dynamics. In my 20+ year private practice career, I have seen our group transition from a philosophy that everyone volunteers for a committee (or three), helps with department and group administrative responsibilities and contributes to practice growth. The reality is that there are some people who tend to be relatively more involved and some less involved, across the entire panel of extra work categories. On other words, the same gal who is practice building is also on three committees and oversees the physician daily and vacation schedule. And there are a few who literally do nothing but their clinical work. My feeling is that the people who do the most tend to run the show, and those that do not do enough, have less of a voice, and that is enough reward/punishment for participating/not participating. Over the cycle of one's career, the younger, hungrier, newer people have tended to do the heavy lifting.

Increasingly, especially among the millenials, each task that does not involve assigned, routine clinical work is an opportunity to get paid more, whether it be practice building calls, lectures to the community or referring docs, or going to committee meetings. In the old days, if I went on a marketing call or to testify at the State capital, I was given the time off to do so. Now, some are expecting time off and additional pay, too.

Comment

We pay $300 to attend the monthly three hour meeting. Other duties are paid on an hourly basis except the two major positions (managing partner and medical director) which have a stipend associated with them.
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

We pay $300 to attend the monthly three hour meeting. Other duties are paid on an hourly basis except the two major positions (managing partner and medical director) which have a stipend associated with them.

Coincidentally, we also pay $300 for the monthly group meeting.

Comment

Interesting. We don't have a problem with attendance at our meetings. Usually monthly lunch meetings where everyone calls in plus occasional (~quarterly) meetings after work where we schedule to accommodate most people's schedules. I think most of us just take it as part of the job and show up. About 14 of us in the group.

Comment

Interesting. We don’t have a problem with attendance at our meetings. Usually monthly lunch meetings where everyone calls in plus occasional (~quarterly) meetings after work where we schedule to accommodate most people’s schedules. I think most of us just take it as part of the job and show up. About 14 of us in the group.

Well, the money comes out of our pockets. It was annoying when one or two docs were skipping it a lot more often than other docs so we felt this would either encourage them to attend (better) or at least make us feel better about them not attending.
            Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this story, but read once that an investment bank paid partners $1000 for attending each partnership meeting.  Any unclaimed dollars were divided among partners who did attend.  Once, the meeting was scheduled during an impending blizzard.  It was the only meeting every with 100% attendance as everyone came hoping for a windfall

We don't pay anyone except for major administrative duties and have noticed a real drop off in attendance over the last few years (and this is largely the same docs so not a generational issue)

Comment

Working...
              X