Any furloughs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
    The local paper is being surprisingly aggressive in going after the hospital systems in the area for this:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/04/...in-healthcare/

While I admittedly have a bit of an axe to grind with one of these entities, if I’m completely honest, I’m surprised that more clinicians aren’t being furloughed and more aren’t facing steeper pay cuts. If they are too generous they could risk insolvency and would be reliant on a federal bailout to stay afloat.
    I'm in the same region as you and like to grind that same axe. I think what they are really going after is to get the administrators and executives to take a pay cut with the medical professionals if things are as dire as they say.

Comment

To each their own on decision to live location. We love the kick back and relax environment of lakeside or beach communities but get a bit island fever without people interaction...not necessarily need big box interaction with Amazon, but really enjoy eating out experience......only can BBQ and bake so much at home! One thing we confirmed during this sah period. We are not home schooling types

Comment

Yea I laughed when IHC’s CEO stated they will forgo their “annual” raises. Wish I had an annual raise. Also that doesn’t include them not taking their bonuses.

The other trick being played is hospital systems saying “top level” executives will take a pay cut.. so maybe the CEO and or COO takes a little pay cut for the “team” while all other administrators keep their full pay for their worthless contributions. All sickening.

Comment

We are all greatly products of our environment. Probably the largest factor is on your children from 5-20. The proverbial big fish in a little pond , little fish big pond. Much of that choice is based on your own comfort zone.
          Much easier to transition from large to small, simply because of less competition in numbers.
          I am always amazed at the Larry Bird story, Hoosiers, Friday Night Lights. No one makes movies about successful doctors, academics, or accountants! I am sure there are some. Just haven’t encountered them. I am sure the State U have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            We are all greatly products of our environment. Probably the largest factor is on your children from 5-20. The proverbial big fish in a little pond , little fish big pond. Much of that choice is based on your own comfort zone.
            Much easier to transition from large to small, simply because of less competition in numbers.
            I am always amazed at the Larry Bird story, Hoosiers, Friday Night Lights. No one makes movies about successful doctors, academics, or accountants! I am sure there are some. Just haven’t encountered them. I am sure the State U have them.
            I don't think even I would want to watch a movie about a successful accountant!
            Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

The movie 'the accountant' with ben affleck was entertaining heh

Comment

Originally posted by Nysoz View Post

The movie 'the accountant' with ben affleck was entertaining heh
                The name was such a turnoff to me, even Ben wasn't a draw. I've always said the last people I have ever wanted to spend time with *outside of work* are other accountants...yawn. I'd rather just take a sleeping pill.
                Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

If I guessed right you are in Upstate NY in the finger lakes region. I have been there a few times and it is very beautiful. In summer. But too chilly for my liking and cold in winter.

But the main problem is isolation. I knew someone in Hornell. It is in the middle of nowhere. No airport nearby and the nearest one is 1+ hour away in Rochester. No major shopping. The schools are average and if you need a more advanced or private middle school or high school education, the parent has to drive 45 minutes to Corning and back twice a day ( as my friend did). After a while it gets on to your nerves and wears you down, and people move.

Let us see if your thoughts about staying there for life still holds when your children are in middle school / high school age.
                  You nailed it. Airport is 1 hour. Private school would be as well but we are happy with public. Grocery store is 5 minutes. Work is 5 minutes. Bank is 5 minutes. Gas station 5 minutes.

I grew up even more remote so I doubt it will wear on me. 90% of everything I need is right hear. I do not mind driving an hour to an airport the few times a year we fly.

But you are absolutely correct that most people cannot tolerate it. Most people worry about the 10% of their life in my opinion.

Again these are just my observations and opinions. There is a reason most people live in large communities. My opinion is a rarity.

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

*movie preview voice*

In a world where numbers are everything, most accountants continue their daily lives without much notice from the general public.

*close up of a hand punching away on a 10 key*

*camera pans out to reveal Johanna wearing a green visor*

But in the last few years, things are...different.

The TCJA came along and things got more interesting. But out of nowhere comes...the CARES Act.

Can Johanna navigate the underbelly of society while keeping up with the day-by-day changing of the interpretation of the CARES Act...all while in quarantine?

*camera shows Johanna (still wearing the green visor) walking towards the camera and away from an exploding building with dollar signs as debris*

Coming to a theater near you once quarantine is over.

*end movie preview voice*

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

*movie preview voice*

In a world where numbers are everything, most accountants continue their daily lives without much notice from the general public.

The TCJA came along and things got more interesting. But out of nowhere comes...the CARES Act.

Can Johanna navigate the underbelly of society while keeping up with the day-by-day changing of the interpretation of the CARES Act...all while in quarantine?

*camera shows Johanna (still wearing the green visor) walking towards the camera and away from an exploding building with dollar signs as debris*

Sounds like a straight to video :P

Comment

*movie preview voice*

Maybe I need to rethink that. I’ll see what my agent says. (Of course, Beau thinks anything I run by him is brilliant as long as treats are involved)

Comment

*movie preview voice*

So I'm pretty much ready to invest all my dollars into this movie. But what's with the green visor?
                          $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

Originally posted by Cubicle View Post

So I'm pretty much ready to invest all my dollars into this movie. But what's with the green visor?
                            You must be of a different generation ;-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_eyeshade

Comment

I furloughed 25% of our employees last week. Not sure when it will be over.

Comment

Originally posted by Sundance View Post
                                Yea I laughed when IHC’s CEO stated they will forgo their “annual” raises. Wish I had an annual raise. Also that doesn’t include them not taking their bonuses.

The other trick being played is hospital systems saying “top level” executives will take a pay cut.. so maybe the CEO and or COO takes a little pay cut for the “team” while all other administrators keep their full pay for their worthless contributions. All sickening.
                                I would like to forego my annual salary cut.

Comment

Working...
                                X