Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone work with Steward Healthcare and Hospitals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone work with Steward Healthcare and Hospitals?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here had any advice for working with Steward Healthcare? Particularly any advice from Ortho standpoint? They have offered a contract but I wanted to see if anyone experienced what it was like to work for them. It would be my first hospital employed/wrvu job (10 years in private practice setting) Thank you in advance!

Yes. Our group contracts with Steward. 3rd or 4th owner of the hospital our group has been staffing for decades.

There seemed to be a fair amount of focus on bringing primary care in network initially, but in the end, it feels like another for-profit hospital system that keeps staffing as low as possible to maximize profit, no different than the previous one. We're going to Meditech EMR later this year which as near as I can tell is a big step backward. Those are my only complaints.

I think you'll have a far greater change going from being an owner to an employee than just who the employer is.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Largest for profit chain the country.. that would be a hard pass for me unless I had zero other options. Sounds like the absolute last place I would ever sign up for.

i don’t have any direct experience so take it with a grain of salt but after they bought out Iasis in Utah they ran out a good friend of mine for a pretty petty reason and I’ve heard nothing but bad things (cardiology).. but mostly second hand info.

Comment

Meditech? Are you for real? Isn't everyone EPIC or Cerner these days?

Then there's this rather serious issue: https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...ever-told.html. That seems like a problem.

I would say they don't provide the best medical care and don't treat their docs well and are for-profit.
        snowcanyon
        Last edited by snowcanyon; 02-17-2020, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenturtle View Post
          Hi, I was wondering if anyone here had any advice for working with Steward Healthcare? Particularly any advice from Ortho standpoint? They have offered a contract but I wanted to see if anyone experienced what it was like to work for them. It would be my first hospital employed/wrvu job (10 years in private practice setting) Thank you in advance!
          https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...sion-push.html
          Ortho is a rainmaker so the wRVU’s are valuable to them. A VC firm was involved and now they expanded an have a ton of debt. An ortho is valuable to them, depends on your deal. You didn’t mention the circumstances, but I would expect a lot depends on how your production fits in. I would also expect a fair amount of cost controls. Then again, they may feed the “beast”, keep you happy.
          However, physicians need staff. How staff views it sometimes gives a flavor. You might want to check out Indeed.com . Yes, folks complain, but it’s worth a scan. One caught my eye ,”Company is laying off people without any severance pay. Company was a nice place to work I want time now very stressful because you don't know if you're going to get laid off or not”.
          Good luck.

Comment

Ugh. Sorry to hear.

in such a circumstance joining Steward looks like you’re only reasonable short term fix. Obviously the main piece of advice you’ll get is you need to move but finding a spot at a low volume ortho guy won’t be super easy.. can you rebrand yourself as a sports med doc which is clinic based?

in the cardiology world which is most similar to ortho as being huge profit or cost centers depending on how we are being branded I’ve found that some of these for profit centers allow the low volume guys to actually benefit more.

we get commoditized into certain slots where a cardiologist is a cardiologist and the main influence is lowering the ceiling on salary.. the thought that many others have where we have a ton of leverage and are loved by the system as we “feed the beast” doesn’t seem to ring true in a lot of these and other systems from what I’ve seen. So in such scenarios I’ve seen a lot of low volume guys get pulled up into that 400-550k salary range as the 600+ guys get pulled down. Production numbers of a lot of these guys from what I’ve seen are laughably low as well (which can be a good thing).

Though with that said it seems weird that you’re being offered such a low contract for an ortho as my experience has been that’s always just slotted the same regardless of location/production and a slew of other factors.

the other way to look at it as u become a faceless employee for the man you at least won’t have to deal much with the business aspect or the HR component. You just clock in, do your work, then clock out.

i guess I would sign and keep the paycheck coming for 2 years as you prepare for the next step.. any chance to rebrand yourself as a clinic based sports med doc? Seems like some of those guys do well especially if you’re giving injections etc

Comment

Don’t forget to take a hard look at the contract and the situation. Just because your on wRVU’s, there may still be competition . Ortho needs a referral base and you need to make a realistic assessment of your wRVU’s. That will be hospital or at least local. Over staffing breeds self selection on the way out.

Comment

Originally posted by snowcanyon View Post
                Meditech? Are you for real? Isn't everyone EPIC or Cerner these days?

Then there's this rather serious issue: https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...ever-told.html. That seems like a problem.

I would say they don't provide the best medical care and don't treat their docs well and are for-profit.
                Get this. We're moving FROM Cerner to Meditech. Bizarroworld, right?

And that article is severely misleading. Ask me how I know.

Jordan Valley Medical Center in West Jordan, Utah, temporarily closed its operating room this summer after a state health department inspection found infection control and patient safety issues
                Yea, for like an hour.

Lori Van Roosendaal-Thompson, whose mother went to the hospital for a gallbladder removal and then died, received a tip from a hospital worker that the facility was being investigated around the time her mother came to the hospital.
                Which had nothing to do with the above mentioned issue as noted at the end of the article

Mr. Hoffman also said that the state health department is "not aware of any patients who were affected by this," according to the report.

Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Today was my first day using Meditech after 2.5 years of struggling with Cerner. I think I felt more comfortable with Meditech after a day than I felt with Cerner after a week. I hope I never have to use that flaming pile of crap again.

Comment

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post

Yea, for like an hour.

Which had nothing to do with the above mentioned issue as noted at the end of the article

Hi, can you give me your perspective/analysis of Beckers hospital review article? Trying to understand the grand scheme of things. Thanks

Comment

[QUOTE=The White Coat Investor;n184909]

Yea, for like an hour.

OK, I must know more about the Meditech thing. Is someone getting a kickback?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenturtle View Post

Hi, can you give me your perspective/analysis of Beckers hospital review article? Trying to understand the grand scheme of things. Thanks
                        I just did, didn't I?

There was a typical complication of a surgery.

At some other point within a few months of that the OR was briefly shut down and some equipment was resterilized.

Both were reported in the same article even though they had nothing to do with each other.

Comment

[QUOTE=snowcanyon;n184945]

Yea, for like an hour.

OK, I must know more about the Meditech thing. Is someone getting a kickback?
                          Presumably. If you were an EMR guy wouldn't you play golf with every hospital executive you could find?

Comment

[QUOTE=The White Coat Investor;n184962]
                            Originally posted by snowcanyon View Post

Presumably. If you were an EMR guy wouldn't you play golf with every hospital executive you could find?
                            Does skiing count?

Comment

I just did, didn't I?

There was a typical complication of a surgery.

At some other point within a few months of that the OR was briefly shut down and some equipment was resterilized.

Both were reported in the same article even though they had nothing to do with each other.
                              I meant the article about their billions of dollars loss not being something to worry about (not about the hospital being shut down) I was told oh don't worry about that loss, happens all the time and is routine for expanding companies...

Comment

Working...
                              X