Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When they propose a worse contract than you already have....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, it seems that many hospital administrators view physicians as fungible resources. I would prepare to walk away from the contract. Start talking to other groups. Hopefully your partner's employer will see reason but don't count on it.

I've known many colleagues who have had to move because admin would not budge on contract; they simply plan to recruit other physicians. Administration never seems to have to answer for the fact they end up losing business and spending more to replace physicians that leave when they refuse to meet reasonable requests. These stories are what motivates me to try to reach FI ASAP.

Comment

Another thought on this situation. Admin seems to miss the concept that OB/GYN patients will notice if the doctor leaves. They will be upset. If another option is available nearby they may leave also. Some will be willing to drive to a nearby town. It is economically crazy to drive the OPs partner away. I wish the OPs partner would add to this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma Knives View Post
        Unfortunately, it seems that many hospital administrators view physicians as fungible resources. I would prepare to walk away from the contract. Start talking to other groups. Hopefully your partner's employer will see reason but don't count on it.

I've known many colleagues who have had to move because admin would not budge on contract; they simply plan to recruit other physicians. Administration never seems to have to answer for the fact they end up losing business and spending more to replace physicians that leave when they refuse to meet reasonable requests. These stories are what motivates me to try to reach FI ASAP.
        At my megacorp former employer, we had a new CEO who had a bombastic vision of "disrupting" health care. His stand by was that health care was changing, and that we had to change with it, or we would get lost in the shuffle. He explained how business dinosaurs like Blockbuster didn't change and got eaten alive by the new competition.

The problem is, health care is not run like most successful FAANG companies. The leadership is too hierarchical and reliant on the Peter Principle for advancement, and the primary goal among administrators is preservation and promotion. It is surprising to me that even for-profit companies like HCA who are beholden to shareholders are not much better in this regard. To the extent the aforementioned CEO says he wanted to "disrupt" the system, there is no evidence it applied to the gordian knot of administration. There have been cuts to benefits throughout the system, but there are more pencil pushers than ever, and I was spending more and more time in meetings and doing non-clinical busywork before I left.

There must be economic incentives that maintain this crummy inefficient system, but I don't fully understand them. It does make me wonder how much worse working for Wal-Mart Clinic would be. Or what would happen if Bill Gates or Buffett could just take a smaller system over and fix it with scorched earth tactics from the top down. If that is even possible, they would probably never be dumb enough to try.

Comment

I would recommend leaving on your terms. This practice is mismanaged and the physicians in the practice can't fix it. Physicians sometimes like to fix things and it can be hard to let go. Additionally, it is important to recognize you all did not burn this bridge, the practice management did. The 2 other physicians with more experience with this employer have already calculated the opportunity cost (better to stay or better to go) and they have both left. The Physician is undervalued and this is a fight you will never be able to win. Its is sad; grieve the loss and move on. I would bet your partner will get super excited really quickly. Leaving on your terms will be reviewing the termination without cause provision and planning the termination notice after accepting a new job.

Comment

Working...
          X